Ruger is Getting into the Suppressor Market

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
Yep. But cast baffles and an MSRP of $449?

Mo thanks...

Yeah, I welcome this as a good thing though as an indication that suppressors are finally starting to gain mainstream acceptance. One more baby step closer to getting suppressors removed from NFA restrictions.

Ruger should make these available for rent at ranges to try out like they did with their American pistol product launch.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. But cast baffles and an MSRP of $449?

Mo thanks...

I'm a newb at cans. Starting to think I want one, but the cost of most is stupidly insane. I know they have to cover their license which isn't cheap, but I'd think someone would figure out that a mass produced one at low cost, and selling more would make the same money.
As a newb, what is the objection to cast baffles?
Hope the hearing protection legislation passes.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a newb at cans. Starting to think I want one, but the cost of most is stupidly insane. I know they have to cover their license which isn't cheap, but I'd think someone would figure out that a mass produced one at low cost, and selling more would make the same money.
As a newb, what is the objection to cast baffles?
Hope the hearing protection legislation passes.

Well if anyone does cast parts correctly, it's Ruger. Cast tends to be heavier than machined in equal strength, but I don't think there's enough weight difference in this application to make a difference. Once set up, it's cheaper to produce, hence my comment of $449 for cast baffles? Too much.

That being said, I just prefer a monocore .22 can for maintenance ease. My jailbroke Pilot with K baffles is a PITA compared to my SS Sparrow (but it does have less 1st round pop). I picked it over the Spectre II in spite of the 1st round pop, because I knew I'd be using it on a full auto gun. The Gemtech Outback II is a great can as well. About the cheapest I'd recommend is the Pilot II. It's essentially a jailbroke version of my original Pilot, which is very light weight.

If they ever took cans off the NFA list, you'd see $50 K baffle cans. With that $200 " marriage tax", you're best off spending the money for the right can the first time out. Silencer Shop has a good page on picking the right rimfire can. http://blog.silencershop.com/picking-rimfire-suppressor/

Keep in mind that the centerfire can market is exploding with new innovation right now. Some of the new stuff is truly revolutionary, like the new Silencerco Hybrid and Omega. They're so much more versatile than the cans of just a few years ago.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well if anyone does cast parts correctly, it's Ruger. Cast tends to be heavier than machined in equal strength, but I don't think there's enough weight difference in this application to make a difference. Once set up, it's cheaper to produce, hence my comment of $449 for cast baffles? Too much.

That being said, I just prefer a monocore .22 can for maintenance ease. My jailbroke Pilot with K baffles is a PITA compared to my SS Sparrow (but it does have less 1st round pop). I picked it over the Spectre II in spite of the 1st round pop, because I knew I'd be using it on a full auto gun. The Gemtech Outback II is a great can as well. About the cheapest I'd recommend is the Pilot II. It's essentially a jailbroke version of my original Pilot, which is very light weight.

If they ever took cans off the NFA list, you'd see $50 K baffle cans. With that $200 " marriage tax", you're best off spending the money for the right can the first time out. Silencer Shop has a good page on picking the right rimfire can. http://blog.silencershop.com/picking-rimfire-suppressor/

Keep in mind that the centerfire can market is exploding with new innovation right now. Some of the new stuff is truly revolutionary, like the new Silencerco Hybrid and Omega. They're so much more versatile than the cans of just a few years ago.

Thanks. The Silencer Shop is a forum vendor of another forum I frequently visit. I've started talking to Jeremy about cans, and your right. The new market in designs is exploding from what he said.

I'm still holding out at the moment for that legislation to pass, thinking prices will fall.

Latest posts

Top Bottom