Ruger LCP (2013) Experiences

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a LCP and a Kel tec 380 and they were both good guns but the Ruger was better. I got rid of the LCP and really missed it so I wanted another pocket .380, and started looking at what was available. I ended up with a Taurus TCP for under 200 bucks and I like it better than the Ruger. It has better trigger, sights, and feel and it has been perfectly reliable and quite accurate even at 25 yards.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update - December 2013

After a few more short sessions the 2013 LCP now has over 200 rounds through it. It has remained malfunction free since the original post. I have used a mixture of JHPs w/ XTP bullet (Hornady and Fiocchi) and regular ball ammo.

The extended baseplate has pros and cons. It feels more comfortable in recoil, but interestingly does not translate into better accuracy. Since the pointy end of the extended baseplate does "print" slightly in the pocket, I have been using the regular flat baseplate more often. The gun shoots fine for what it is. I tried falling plates at 25 yards, got some hits with concentration.

The LCP in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster has usurped my J-frame's position as most carried gun.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like my LCP, agree that Ruger makes some of the best firearms for the money. I had an LC9, but sold it. Nothing wrong w/it, just not for me.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update:

Another few boxes down the pipe, putting the LCP up around 300 rds. No problems. I wear the thing all the time; it just disappears.

My LCP likes the Fiocchi 90 gr XTP ammo for accuracy. Nice stuff.

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the LCP. A few years back I thought I was out of the 380 pistol business and then Ruger came out with this. I still had some 380 ammo so I thought what the heck,might be a good CCW when I couldn't carry a full size gun. I was surprised with the accuracy and reliability.

Mikebanks

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I might have a problem mine, the case seems to get caught in the slide, holding the slide open even when loading another clip the slide needs help. I'm not sure if I need to lube or send back to the factory, I have less than 50 rounds on it and Im planning another trip to the range just to make sure it's nothing I'm doing wrong.

Latest posts

Top Bottom