Ruger LCP (2013) Experiences

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just an update. The LCP is now up around 350 rounds. Still no malfunctions. It's a trustworthy pistol.

I got the chance to fire it side by side with a slightly larger .380, the Glock 42. The Glock is definitely easier than the LCP to shoot precisely: it has a superior grip (a true 2-finger grip; in fact some people with small hands could get all 3 fingers on), way better sights, and a longer barrel. The Glock also has more comfortable recoil. It would be fun to shoot the G42 for a long practice session, while the LCP becomes kind of a chore past 20 or 30 rounds.

The LCP retains its niche with me, combining superb concealability with excellent reliability. I'm very pleased I purchased it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just an update. The LCP is now up around 350 rounds. Still no malfunctions. It's a trustworthy pistol.

I got the chance to fire it side by side with a slightly larger .380, the Glock 42. The Glock is definitely easier than the LCP to shoot precisely: it has a superior grip (a true 2-finger grip; in fact some people with small hands could get all 3 fingers on), way better sights, and a longer barrel. The Glock also has more comfortable recoil. It would be fun to shoot the G42 for a long practice session, while the LCP becomes kind of a chore past 20 or 30 rounds.

The LCP retains its niche with me, combining superb concealability with excellent reliability. I'm very pleased I purchased it.

Good deal. Confidence in your carry gun is what we all look for.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good deal. Confidence in your carry gun is what we all look for.

It replaced a S&W Airweight J-frame, so the reliability bar was high. The LCP clears it. I will mention that the sweet shooting Glock 42 I tried was not 100% reliable.

People bash Ruger for not coming up with more original designs. If all their "borrow and tweaks" worked out like the LCP I wouldn't complain a bit. Taking the basic KT design and bringing reliability, consistency, and mass production to it has been a real contribution to the gun world.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will say, that Ruger hit a homerun with the new LC9S, they fixed that pistol. I had to do allot of work to my old LC9 with Galloway Precision Parts to get it to be a good shooter, the factory trigger was HORRIBLE. But after some work on it, it became a nice small 9mm. But again, they got the new LC9S perfected. I am very impressed with the trigger on it!

Now if they would just do the same thing to the little LCP380. As my every day summer time short wearing gun is a 380, a Keltec. But would jump all over a LCP380 with that new striker fire trigger they put in the LC9S!!!!!!!

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ruger hit a homerun with the new LC9S, they fixed that pistol. I had to do allot of work to my old LC9 with Galloway Precision Parts to get it to be a good shooter, the factory trigger was HORRIBLE. But after some work on it, it became a nice small 9mm. But again, they got the new LC9S perfected. I am very impressed with the trigger on it!

Every report I've seen on the LC9S trigger has been positive.

warmep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Hogue grip really helps and I don't have a problem concealing with it or the 'pinky' extensions. I bought a nice crimson trace laser for it from fellow OSAer Disgruntled Computer Tech, it's a very nice low-light sighting addition. I bought a new 2013 LCP, took it out of the box without cleaning it, and fired over 200 rounds without a single malfunction.

I've fired both the original LCP and the 2013 LCP, the difference in trigger pull is substantial, but not as much as the difference between the LC9 and the LC9s. I tried them side by side at Sooner State South, wow. The LC9s trigger is pretty sweet.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Every report I've seen on the LC9S trigger has been positive.

Yes Sir! And if they would re work that little LCP380 to have that trigger in the LC9S, I would be first in line to own one! I have owned several Ruger Pistols and Rifles, no complaints from me. And recently picked up two of the SR22's for the wife and granddaughter, sweet shooting 22's and sooooo much easier to clean up than the Mark I, II, and III's. In fact, Fed Ex just dropped off two Free Mags and Two Boxes of Winchester 22LR for the New SR22's I bought, in a Free Mag/Ammo giveaway!! They have a similar give away going on right now for the LCP as well!

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I finally found a .380 ammo the LCP doesn't like: Prvi Partizan 94 gr FMJ.

It is soft shooting and accurate ammo but (1) it sometimes fails to eject (too soft shooting) and (2) the primers are hard. About 1 in 10 failures to ignite despite a good, visible firing pin strike.

Prvi is generally decent. I will, however, avoid this ammo for this pistol.

Last edited:

B Gordon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought an LCP a couple of weeks ago from Academy for concealed carry use.
What is your preferred pocket holster and preferred inside the waistband holster?

Also, I watched a video on youtube concerning ammunition specifically for the LCP.
Bought some of the Federal Hydrashok (?Hydroshock?) that is supposed to be a consistent performer in that weapon.

The Original poster mentioned that his weapon has been trouble free.
I bought a box of Winchester white box ammo to break in the pistol.
While firing the first 50 rounds I had two failures to fully eject but the balance of the box worked properly. Also the Federal worked perfectly.
I was able to induce a failure to fully eject a fired case by gripping the pistol very lightly with two fingers and squeezing the trigger. The grip was so light that the pistol almost flew out of my hand.
It was a check of what I had heard in the past that a weak grip can sometimes bring on a stovepipe.
Other than that it has worked great for me.

One item I checked into is that you can buy 7 round magazines from Midway so I ordered one.
Hopefully it will function reliably.

While reading up on the LCP, there were several statements that +P ammunition is not to be utilized and will cause the weapon to break.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought an LCP a couple of weeks ago from Academy for concealed carry use.
What is your preferred pocket holster and preferred inside the waistband holster?

Also, I watched a video on youtube concerning ammunition specifically for the LCP.
Bought some of the Federal Hydrashok (?Hydroshock?) that is supposed to be a consistent performer in that weapon.

The Original poster mentioned that his weapon has been trouble free.
I bought a box of Winchester white box ammo to break in the pistol.
While firing the first 50 rounds I had two failures to fully eject but the balance of the box worked properly. Also the Federal worked perfectly.
I was able to induce a failure to fully eject a fired case by gripping the pistol very lightly with two fingers and squeezing the trigger. The grip was so light that the pistol almost flew out of my hand.
It was a check of what I had heard in the past that a weak grip can sometimes bring on a stovepipe.
Other than that it has worked great for me.

One item I checked into is that you can buy 7 round magazines from Midway so I ordered one.
Hopefully it will function reliably.

While reading up on the LCP, there were several statements that +P ammunition is not to be utilized and will cause the weapon to break.

Do yourself a favor. Go to Galloway Precision and order the stronger guide rod spring and stainless steel guide rod. You can limp wrist it all you want then. Also, polish the feedramp up so you can see yourself in it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom