Ruger LCP (2013) Experiences

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warmep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been using the Sticky SM3 holster for my LCP w/ CT laser. It's great in the pocket and IWB, it's super grippy so it's great for either purpose. I've also got a shell for my Alien Gear that I carried it in before buying the laser. Worked great.

Without the laser you would use the Sticky SM2.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry my LCP daily in a Remora. Basically the same as the Sticky linked above. IWB is how I carry but I will drop it in a jacket pocket occasionally, and a pants pocket even more rarely. Mine has the original sweat shield (now called a partial sweat shield, I think), non reinforced top. Works perfect.

I've had my pistol since 2009 (or 2008?) and the only failure it has is when I accidentally drop the mag (again, small gun so controls are cozy). Has been flawless even with the PPU (Monarch label) I have put through it. I usually feed my Fiocchi as well but it eats anything. My father has the Taurus TCP for several years, and the grip and sights and trigger I objectively like better on the Taurus, and his too has never malfunctioned, but I still will keep my Ruger. It's not my favorite gun, but it is my most trusted and most carried. So maybe that makes it my favorite?

B Gordon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went to Galloway and ordered most of the items they have for the LCP.
Grip tape
Magazine internals to allow 7 rounds
Better takedown pin
Stainless guide rod
13 lb recoil spring

Hopefully it all helps out this pocket pistol.
Reliability has to be #1 and if these make it so, they will be worth every penny.

warmep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry my LCP daily in a Remora. Basically the same as the Sticky linked above. IWB is how I carry but I will drop it in a jacket pocket occasionally, and a pants pocket even more rarely. Mine has the original sweat shield (now called a partial sweat shield, I think), non reinforced top. Works perfect.

If you decide to go with the Remora, they are having a sale with coupon code: 40FREEMAG for 40% off plus get a free magazine holder with each order placed

B Gordon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I received the items from Galloway yesterday.
Installed the stronger spring and spring pin.
Definitely harder to rack the slide.
Will test it sometime in the next few days for reliability.
Installed the grip tape and it sure makes a difference while holding the weapon.

Tried installing the magazine kit that allows for 7 rounds but went back to the original Ruger 6 round spring.
Just didn't care for how the rounds fed with the aftermarket follower and had a real hard time getting the magazine to click in place with 7 rounds.

Overall, I am real happy with my new LCP with the two modifications and the leather pocket holster.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I now have about 500 rounds through the LCP. Half a case! Well, in the real world, more than many pocket pistols will ever see.

The LCP is not the most refined, but it remains super concealable and super reliable. I give Ruger big respect for this level of reliability in a tiny, sub-$350 gun. That has to have been a deliberate engineering focus when they decided to revamp the Kel-Tec design.

Recently saw this review online. This guy hits a lot of the same points I would: http://www.gunnuts.net/2015/05/28/rule-one-gun-roundup-ruger-lcp/ Unlike him I have the updated post-2013 model and I am correspondingly more satisfied.

Some folks were discussing limp wristing. I deliberately did one hand and weak hand shooting with my LCP to test this. It had no hiccups. To pick a relevant comparison, it is much less sensitive to limp wristing than the Glock 42. (I like the G42 but you gotta remember to squeeze the life outta that thing. Especially when shooting one handed.)

For carrying the LCP I favor the cheap, widely available DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster.

The LCP likes ammo with Hornady XTP hollowpoints and shoots them very accurately. Speer Gold Dots also run 100% and are wicked accurate -- however, GD's are not my favorite defense bullet for .380. They will expand but penetration can lag.

Latest posts

Top Bottom