Ruger LCP (2013) Experiences

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the LCP as well. Son in law got a Khar P380. It is now mine. This little thing is nothing but a miniature Glock from head to tail. We have close to if not over a 1k rounds flawlessly through it, and not one single issue. I had a Khar CW380 that ended up back at Khar and they sent me a new one. I just never got to trust the CW. The P models are well above grade than the CW line. The P models are definitely a true range pistol, capable of many, many thousands of rounds like Glocks are.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I like the LCP as well. Son in law got a Khar P380. It is now mine. This little thing is nothing but a miniature Glock from head to tail. We have close to if not over a 1k rounds flawlessly through it, and not one single issue. I had a Khar CW380 that ended up back at Khar and they sent me a new one. I just never got to trust the CW. The P models are well above grade than the CW line. The P models are definitely a true range pistol, capable of many, many thousands of rounds like Glocks are.

Is there something else that is different between the P and CW series? To my understanding the two pistols are identical, made at the same plant with the same parts, except the P has:
Match barrel
Dovetailed front sight
engraved rather than stamped slide
two extra mags.

I wonder what could be the difference other than the possibility that you just got unlucky with your first CW?

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there something else that is different between the P and CW series? To my understanding the two pistols are identical, made at the same plant with the same parts, except the P has:
Match barrel
Dovetailed front sight
engraved rather than stamped slide
two extra mags.

I wonder what could be the difference other than the possibility that you just got unlucky with your first CW?

More billet parts. You ever get a chance to take the two apart do so. P models are more refined in the mfg, for lack of a better word. Tolerance's seem to be a lot tighter. And accuracy is better through the match grade polygonal barrel. I am not meaning the PW's are not good, the early models had tons of issues, as told to me by a Khar employee around the end of 2013 they made some changes in production in the CW models. I bought a early model that they took back and sent back a completely new pistol and kept the one I sent to them.

I had stripped it completely down, buffed to a mirror finish every internal part trying to get it cycle ammo on a dependable basis, to no avail. Same technician that did all the correspondence with me had a engineer call me and ask me several questions about the internals and how I got them so refined and polished, he went on to say that the inside of every Khar should look like it, but it would cost so much in labor to do so, he went on to tell me that the feedramp angles and the loose tolerances in the PW's and more specifically the older ones was allowing the firing pin to not retract and would hang up on the lip of the shells causing sooooooooooooo many failure to feeds it was deplorable. Anyways, he agreed to send me a new later model CW380, and I will say it functioned very well. But I had lost all fait in it. Went back to my Ruger LCP for my pocket pistol.

Jump ahead a few months and the son in law bought the P model 380, ran flawlessly, anything he put in it, even the flat nose ammo. I kept looking for a used one to pop up, and have been looking for a few months. Well the son in law wanted a new Glock 43 so bad, that I was able to swap him a new Glock 19 Gen4, that he had a co worker that wanted, to get the money to order himself a new 43. As I stated above, we have at minimum of 1k rounds through it together and it runs awesome. As well as I stated above he has a later model PW380 that is running smooth as well.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
More billet parts. You ever get a chance to take the two apart do so. P models are more refined in the mfg, for lack of a better word. Tolerance's seem to be a lot tighter. And accuracy is better through the match grade polygonal barrel. I am not meaning the PW's are not good, the early models had tons of issues, as told to me by a Khar employee around the end of 2013 they made some changes in production in the CW models. I bought a early model that they took back and sent back a completely new pistol and kept the one I sent to them.

I had stripped it completely down, buffed to a mirror finish every internal part trying to get it cycle ammo on a dependable basis, to no avail. Same technician that did all the correspondence with me had a engineer call me and ask me several questions about the internals and how I got them so refined and polished, he went on to say that the inside of every Khar should look like it, but it would cost so much in labor to do so, he went on to tell me that the feedramp angles and the loose tolerances in the PW's and more specifically the older ones was allowing the firing pin to not retract and would hang up on the lip of the shells causing sooooooooooooo many failure to feeds it was deplorable. Anyways, he agreed to send me a new later model CW380, and I will say it functioned very well. But I had lost all fait in it. Went back to my Ruger LCP for my pocket pistol.

Jump ahead a few months and the son in law bought the P model 380, ran flawlessly, anything he put in it, even the flat nose ammo. I kept looking for a used one to pop up, and have been looking for a few months. Well the son in law wanted a new Glock 43 so bad, that I was able to swap him a new Glock 19 Gen4, that he had a co worker that wanted, to get the money to order himself a new 43. As I stated above, we have at minimum of 1k rounds through it together and it runs awesome. As well as I stated above he has a later model PW380 that is running smooth as well.

Wow thanks for the detailed response. I never knew the history there.

wolfkpr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My LCP has been great for reliability, and accuracy is 3" groups at 7yds off hand, 8" groups at 20 yds offhand. I dont think .380 is really enough, as you have to kind of decide if you want enough penetration, or if you want expansion.. (though gold dots come close) but when you have to wear a tucked in shirt, etc, and cant get away with a real gun, the . 380 pocket gun beats the heck out of . 22, .25, .32 or anything like that you can put in a 9 oz pocket gun...

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had several short range sessions recently with the LCP, bringing it up to 650 rounds!

It still runs 100% with all hollowpoints, even when fired weak hand. It also has digested all ball ammo except the soft-loaded Prvi Partizan. If you have a .380 I recommend CCI Blazer Brass 95 gr FMJ for practice -- it is accurate, readily available online, and loaded fairly hot. My LCP loves it.

I painted the front sight red. I used undercoats of white enamel paint, then fluorescent red enamel paint on top. This pops out visually and is a genuine improvement to the sight picture. Between the decent (post-2013) trigger and the upgraded sights, the LCP ends up as a more usable and shootable gun than you might predict. The recent practice makes me feel good about carrying it, and so do the ballistics tests I've read of .380 defense ammo that uses the moderate-expansion Hornady XTP bullet (which is what I carry).

This is now my favorite Ruger ever, overtaking an SP101 snubby from some years ago that I never, ever should have sold... :(

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got an LCP-C for $220, Galloway guide rod, trigger, and real sights. Huge difference between it and my wife's pre-2013. Fit and finish seem improved, a higher luster almost polished blue on the flats, matte on top of slide. Sights look obnoxiously tall from the side, but work great. Trigger is night and day difference. Only dry fired it, but having had 2 pre-2013's (still have one of them), I don't doubt it's reliability.

travisstorma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll echo what others have said. It is reliable. I have only had one FTF issue with cheap Ammo. No issues with hollow points.

It amazes me how small it is. I took it to the range and my G27 felt like a huge full sized gun after shooting the LCP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom