Ruger M77 Mark II Target .308 - Should I Cut and Thread it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had this same rifle about 18 years ago, but in .204 and ended up selling it. I regretted it every since then. This one recently popped up on here for sale so I HAD to have it. Also this one is in .308 which is even better for me now, I really love the .308 round and I can reload for it. I took it out to test some factory ammo and once again, the Federal Fusion's beat out the Hornady Black, Remington Tipped and Winchester Super X. I didn't make a full video, just a quick 1 minute short with my phone. It has a 26" barrel that I'd possibly like to get cut down to maybe 18 or 20 inches and threaded for a suppressor, but I don't want the accuracy to go to sheet. What do you guys think? I've never had a barrel cut before. Any recommendations on who could do it?

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is no way anyone can tell you if accuracy will go to sheet as you put it but you’ll loose about 100fps or more.

Some may tell you a short barrel makes for a stiffer barrel, which it does but it doesn’t necessarily make for a more accurate barrel. If it did we should see a lot of short barrel AR’s shooting tiny groups.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
There is no way anyone can tell you if accuracy will go to sheet as you put it but you’ll loose about 100fps or more.

Some may tell you a short barrel makes for a stiffer barrel, which it does but it doesn’t necessarily make for a more accurate barrel. If it did we should see a lot of short barrel AR’s shooting tiny groups.

To both things I made bold it would depend on caliber and twist rate in my opinion.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
How so? Please enlighten me to that which informed your opinion.

Here’s a test MDT did with an 88” barrel in 308. How Long is Too Long For a Rifle Barrel? MDT Builds an 88-Inch-Long .308 to Find Out

I was just voicing my opinion on what I think it would do. It may be right. It may be wrong. Sorry I’m not as OpERatOr as you.

But to your article you posted; longer barrel apparently doesn’t make it more accurate. Over 1” group at 100 yards? Not that great.

And from a reloading perspective we all know that more FPS isn’t always equal to more accuracy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom