Ruger M77 tang safety

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not much of a rifle shooter.... yet, but I've come across what I think to be a pretty good first 'do it all' rifle and wanted to get some input from some more experienced shooters. The rifle is a Ruger M77 (in excellent shape) with the tang safety in .308 and it comes with an older Weaver T16 scope priced at $700. I feel like it's a steal at that price but since this is an older model, I have not been able to find much info on its reliability (it's a Ruger so I feel pretty confident) and accuracy. Does anyone have any experience with one or know of any issues? Any input would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
first off,welcome to okshooters! no issues here. i really like the option of opening and closing a bolt with the a safety option. price sounds a bit steep but we buy what we want,right. i have had excellent results with handloads from my ruger rifles. dime sized groups from 308 projectiles is common.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd be ashamed to say how many tang safety, red butt pad m77 I own. The accuracy is there generally from previous experience, and is an easy stock to bed if you decide to go that route. Triggers are easy to work with as well, vs the MK II. Like said above, $700 is a little steep unless it's mint, box and paperwork........or is a M77RS or a flat bolt, or an full stock international.

MCC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and your responses. Sounds like it's a decent gun but just not at the price and that's what I was needing to know. I wasn't really in the market for one right now but a friend turned me on to it. I think it might actually be the RS (with the sights, right?) but if he won't come down I think I can walk away and keep looking.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yep the RS has the sights, and a little harder to come by. I kind of look at those rifles like this though, they're not making any more of them, if it's in good shape, you may not find another soon, and if you can afford $500, you can probably afford $700. What's the scope worth?

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like the others have said, those are good rifles. For a do-all set up though, you will probably not like that T16 scope. They are good target scopes but for everyday usage, 16 power will be a challenge particularly for someone just starting out.

MCC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the scope with worth a few hundred. Like stated above, it would be good for paper but I'd have to use a lower power for hunting. I don't know much about the scope itself. I'd imagine a cheaper model with newer glass, etc would do just as well. I can afford it without a problem, I just want to make sure the price is fair and I can get out of it relatively close to what I put into it if I need to unload it later.

tbowe91

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both my dad and I have them in 308 without sights. Awesome shooters. I also have a 270 and 25-06 version. They are my go to hunting rifles. I put the 2 lb rifle basix trigger sear in all of mine. This is great upgrade to the trigger.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an older m77, tang safety, in a .270. It required a bunch of elbow grease to get it cleaned up. I doubt it was ever cleaned by the previous owner for that matter.
Purchased at Sooner State Pawn for $400. No scope.