Ruger Mark IV Lite

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Haven't gotten the MKIV yet. Still trying to wear out my MKIII, but no matter how many thousands of rounds I put through it, it keeps on ticking.
The last 5k rounds I haven't even really cleaned it. Just scrape off some excess carbon buildup with a dentist pick and drop some oil and she sings.

Penywisexx

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't gotten the MKIV yet. Still trying to wear out my MKIII, but no matter how many thousands of rounds I put through it, it keeps on ticking.
The last 5k rounds I haven't even really cleaned it. Just scrape off some excess carbon buildup with a dentist pick and drop some oil and she sings.
How difficult is the Mark III to clean and breakdown? I've heard it's horrible. I'm comfortable working on guns but wonder if the extra $40-50 is worth it.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
How difficult is the Mark III to clean and breakdown? I've heard it's horrible. I'm comfortable working on guns but wonder if the extra $40-50 is worth it.

It can be a *****, but I got the Majestic Arms speed strip kit and now it's a breeze.
Not as easy as the MKIV only because you need an Allen wrench as opposed to just your thumb, but still a world of difference from stock.

Penywisexx

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It can be a *****, but I got the Majestic Arms speed strip kit and now it's a breeze.
Not as easy as the MKIV only because you need an Allen wrench as opposed to just your thumb, but still a world of difference from stock.
I might as well go for a IV than, the price for the speed strip kit is the difference between the two models.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same here with my Mark III Hunter. Use some brake cleaner, and a dental pick to clean the crud off the area around the chamber, and a q tip on the feed ramp. Put a little oil on it and back to the range.
I do have the quick strip kit on it that makes it a cinch to take apart and put back together.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The mk 3 really isnt that bad once you understand how it all goes back together.

Yes, I agree with those above. BUT, for at least the first time you attempt it, allow yourself plenty of time, ensure any kiddos or wives sensitive ears are not within range,
and do not be near a trash dump or large body of water. You may be tempted to heave the accursed thing away, as you loudly curse both it and Bill Ruger. It is also a good idea to stock up on Band-Aids in advance, as you will bang up a few knuckles in the process.

Save yourself frustration and blood, and just get the MK IV.

Latest posts

Top Bottom