Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle 5.56/223

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a couple of 14's and yes, accuracy was so-so.

Sold them both years ago.

The mini 30 (above) really puts them in there. 123 gr Hornady polomer tip.

Maybe I just got lucky, but its a keeper.

Would like to hear some reports about the Mini 14 Target....the one with the adjustable harmonics damper on the front end (I know that's not what they call it, but I can't think of the name of it right now).

If anyone on here has one....please comment.

Last edited:

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Mini-14 usually isn't accurate enough for the AR crowd, but then they like ugly guns anyway. The Mini won't group 5 rounds into an inch at 100 yards--unless you're mighty lucky--but it can hit a soda can at 50. It has been accurate enough for a lot of folks for more than 40 years.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If the aftermarket could make a reliable mag at an affordable price, I'd probably get a mini 14
Somehow though, Ruger has some magic wizardry and charge a pretty penny for their reliability.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought one back in 1995 and really enjoy shooting it.Heard theses guys were pretty good at making a Mini 14 more accurate.
https://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/index.php

I have had business with this guy. I know for a fact because I own one of his .243 WSSM uppers that some of his machining was very suspect.
I can do single point threading very well on a lathe. The upper he built for me has a very poor example of threading for a brake, can, or whatever.
He told me even though it was sloppy threads which I noticed immediately, it worked ok when shouldering the brake to the muzzle.
Well, hell ya, but when it flops around like a wet noodle threading it on, it’s not right and he refused to make it right.
I sent the upper back to him twice because I couldn’t hit a pie pan at 100 yards accurately.
When all said and done, it was because he gave me the wrong twist.
I’d asked for a 1:12 and he sold me a 1:8.
55 grain doesn’t work well at that twist and velocity.
I had to figure that out for him.
Worked great with a 100 grain bullet after figuring that out taking a lot of deer.
Still wanting a hyper velocity for 55 grain Ditech.com got me the upper I wanted.

Two years later, accuracysystems.com called me and said he had a barrel with my name on it. Wondered what I wanted him to do with it.
I wanted to tell him the truth about what I wanted him to do with it, but refrained and explained who I was and our history.
He said thanks and hung up.

Take that interaction any way you want if you wish to do business with him. He has lots of good reviews about accurizing the Ranch rifles.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Mini-14 Ranch Rifle- i’ve been messing around with it for about eight years- functions great, but I haven’t been confident enough in it’s accuracy to use it for coyote calling until recently. It shoots about a 1” group or less with IMR 4895 powder and heavier bullets- 63 grain and up. I’m going to give it a chance this winter- sometimes I get a half-dozen or so at a time in the woods using pup distress & challenge call.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Mini-14 Ranch Rifle- i’ve been messing around with it for about eight years- functions great, but I haven’t been confident enough in it’s accuracy to use it for coyote calling until recently. It shoots about a 1” group or less with IMR 4895 powder and heavier bullets- 63 grain and up. I’m going to give it a chance this winter- sometimes I get a half-dozen or so at a time in the woods using pup distress & challenge call.
Excellent. Take it you're loading your own. Wonder if there's a off the shelf match for what you're using

Have you clocked them?

Latest posts

Top Bottom