Ruger Mk III vs Ruger Mk IV

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can get a NIB 5.5" MK III for around $280 where a 5.5" MK IV is about $420.
Is the MK IV worth the extra $140?

To me it is. I got my Blued Mk IV Target for $419 (plus tax of course) at Big Boys Guns and Range. I had a MK III for several years, and know how to reassemble it after much cussin' and fretting but I finally figured it out. The MK III is a great pistol, but the MK IV did away with the loaded chamber indicator, which I for one did not like, as well as the super easy takedown. You can put a Majestic Arms Speed Strip kit in a MK III for about $50 or $60 bucks though. If you come to the ENS next Sunday, you can shoot my MK IV and see how it takes down and goes back together. I think they did a fantastic job on the MK IV finish as well; it's a very sharp looking gun. It really boils down to personal preference. Either will outlast us and our kids and hopefully end up in he grandkid's hands someday.

Now, if I had to choose between a MK III Hunter, or a MK IV target for roughly the same price? Then it gets harder to decide. For a plinker and casual use, the MK IV Target Model is ideal, for me. The MK III Hunter is a hell of a .22 though. Only you can decide.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speed strip kit from Majestic Arms, and there is no difference in cleaning time from Mark III Hunter and the Mark IV.
That being said, enjoy either that you choose.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The MKIV also has a spring in the bottom of the grip to help eject magazines. It also has a bolt hold open latch that works more like a slide lock on conventional pistol. On a MKIII the locked open bolt has to be released with the button. The MKIV will release by running the bolt after a loaded magazine is inserted. VQ makes a latch to "fix" a MKIII to run like the MKIV. The also make magazine pads that have a spring in them to assist with ejection, but they are not cheap.

As Dennis said above, there is a speed strip kit for the MKIII. However, be careful because it may limit options with trigger upgrades.

I'd go with the MKIV if you are going to shoot comps. If you are a casual plinker, you might be happy with a MKIII. Watching a YouTube video every time you reassemble it will work or add a speed strip kit.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The MKIV also has a spring in the bottom of the grip to help eject magazines. It also has a bolt hold open latch that works more like a slide lock on conventional pistol. On a MKIII the locked open bolt has to be released with the button. The MKIV will release by running the bolt after a loaded magazine is inserted. VQ makes a latch to "fix" a MKIII to run like the MKIV. The also make magazine pads that have a spring in them to assist with ejection, but they are not cheap.

As Dennis said above, there is a speed strip kit for the MKIII. However, be careful because it may limit options with trigger upgrades.

I'd go with the MKIV if you are going to shoot comps. If you are a casual plinker, you might be happy with a MKIII. Watching a YouTube video every time you reassemble it will work or add a speed strip kit.

Oh yes, thanks Mad Professor; I forgot to mention the magazine ejector on the MK IV. It works very well. However, the magazine ejector and its very small parts with the tiny plunger and tiny spring are not mentioned in the manual, nor is it on the exploded view in the manual either. When you take the grip panels off for cleaning under them, it's very easy to launch those tiny parts into the carpet somewhere in the room...one could conceivably spend an hour or so crawling around on hands and knees looking for these tiny parts, not really sure what it is you are looking for, or how many parts exactly, (3) since they are not in the book, then wondering how to put them back in. (not too hard since there's only 3 parts; flat puzzle-shaped piece, a tiny plunger, and a tiny spring). Be careful when removing the MK IV grip panels.

Latest posts

Top Bottom