Ruger Mk III vs Ruger Mk IV

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought the mag ejector was just the plunger on the mag floorplate?

On the MKIV, the built it into the gun so the plunger pushes on a solid 1 piece mag baseplate. On the MKIII you have to use an aftermarket mag baseplate with a spring-loaded plunger to get the same effect. Or on all 6 magazines in my case.

I would still want to run extended pads with the MKIV to get them below the base of the magwell for more positive insertion. But, these would be much cheaper than the plunger/spring-loaded baseplates I'm using to get the same results.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh I got ya now. See I thought they just put that style of baseplate on the mags of the new MK IV to positively eject them. I didnt realize it was on the gun.
When I did the mag safety disconnect delete on my MK III it made my factory mags drop free quite well. Im glad I didnt have to spend the money to go the route of changing my baseplates. Although like you I would like extended ones when I get around to it. I just dont have to have the plunger type now.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The MKIV also has a spring in the bottom of the grip to help eject magazines. It also has a bolt hold open latch that works more like a slide lock on conventional pistol. On a MKIII the locked open bolt has to be released with the button. The MKIV will release by running the bolt after a loaded magazine is inserted. VQ makes a latch to "fix" a MKIII to run like the MKIV. The also make magazine pads that have a spring in them to assist with ejection, but they are not cheap.

As Dennis said above, there is a speed strip kit for the MKIII. However, be careful because it may limit options with trigger upgrades.

I'd go with the MKIV if you are going to shoot comps. If you are a casual plinker, you might be happy with a MKIII. Watching a YouTube video every time you reassemble it will work or add a speed strip kit.

Actually, you can release the bolt on the MKIII by pulling back on and releasing the bolt; Ruger says NOT to use the bolt lock lever to release the bolt; because over time, it will wear down your bolt stop latch. I have done so, and then, your bolt won't lock back on an empty mag. With the MKIV, the bolt lock lever will not release the bolt, you have to use the pull and release method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom