Ruger MK IV Target vs 22/45 lite

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sumshooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not have a mark 4 target but I do have several mark 2 targets and a mark 4 lite. All have red dot sights.
The mark 2 targets are more stable due to added weight. As far as the take down having the button on the mark 4 is nice. However, if you want to disassemble further they added additional parts to the 22/45 bolt stop making it more like the regular mark 2 plus all additional junk they added with the magazine disconnect stuff from the mark 3's.

I have no problems with the disassembly and assembly of the older style pistols. So, I really prefer them, less parts to break.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Disregarding the take down and reassembly process, which do you find to be the better shooter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Disregarding the take down and reassembly process, which do you find to be the better shooter?

My MK III 22/45 is pretty close to the 1911 ergowise so to me it's a no-brainer, but I love the 1911 grip angle, size and controls. The original Rugers are "glocklike" to me so you may like them better. And I could be wrong, but I thought the MK IVs were a snap to dis-assemble and clean? :anyone:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Going to Steel Challenge matches where everything is shot. The lite models seem to have more issues than the standard mark III or mark IV's.
That being said the new shooters seem to be the ones shooting the lite models for the most part, and it could be issues with cleaning, lube, etc. Who knows.
I've RO'd them looking at the dry actions and afterward offered some lube as they appear to be bone dry, not dripping oil like mine that runs flawlessly.

Sumshooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

With the mark 2's both 4" & 5-1/2" 5 shot groups about the size of a quarter were common off sand bags at 25 yards.
Mark 4 have not shot enough paper to say yet. Sorry. As far as running it's been problem free. But, I will say the barrel seems to float more with the lite. The weight of the steal barrel holds on target better so far.

Last edited:

Sumshooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My MK III 22/45 is pretty close to the 1911 ergowise so to me it's a no-brainer, but I love the 1911 grip angle, size and controls. The original Rugers are "glocklike" to me so you may like them better. And I could be wrong, but I thought the MK IVs were a snap to dis-assemble and clean? :anyone:
Yes, they are a snap for take down (remove barrel and bolt) but when you take it down to frame, pins, hammer, sear, mag disconnect etc...the mark 2's are much easier.

Sumshooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Throw them both in the trash and just shoot the M&P 22 compact
I can't comment on the m&p haven't shot one. But I did trade my S&W model 41 .22 target pistol for my mark 4 22/45 lite with a red dot because I like my marks better. So, if you ever do throw one away PLEASE let me know where I will happily dumpster dive and give it a good home. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom