Ruger MKIV Review/Range Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First of all, I'm very happy with the gun. I ran 400 rounds through it today, just a break-in session really, mostly 40 grain CCI Mini Mags, but a few magazines of Federal Automatch and a few of Aquila. No malfunctions at all, the pistol functioned as it should. The stock trigger is just a shade over 4.0 lbs. It breaks cleanly. I do think it will smooth out and lighten up some with use. As far as accuracy, it's as good as you can shoot it. At 10 yards, just kinda propped up against the side of the stall, to help me steady up a bit, I was keeping them all in a quarter-sized group. I really like shooting those little pigs and ducks on that carnival target they have at Big Boys . I sure do like shooting those paper pigs and those little cute ducks! I'm not gonna do anything to it in terms of messing with the internals until I shoot a lot more through it first. I am going to remove the right hand safety; they give you a little spacer and instructions in the box for those of us who don't want an ambi. I sort of noticed it there, against my hand when shooting...just a bit distracting, so it's coming off. I don't like distractions, it makes me forget about that fuzzy front sight thingee...I have ordered a fiber optic front sight from Midway USA for it. I had one on a Mark III before and really liked it. I got the one from Tactical Solutions based on some reviews I saw on rimfire central.com. As I said, I'm very happy with this gun. Ruger has been making these things for a long time and all they did with the MK IV is improve an already good pistol. One thing of note, the manual does not tell you this, but if you remove the right grip, be careful you don't lose the little tab and spring and it's tiny plunger that functions as the magazine ejector. The gun will still run without it, but you just won't have that good positive magazine ejection as you do with it properly installed. Also, you might want to check the 3/32 hex screw on the pivot that's on the frame to make sure that's nice and tight. That's about the only things I can think of to tell you about the pistol at this point; would I buy it again? The answer to that is a solid yes. The pistol is as easy to disassemble and reassemble as they tell you it is, it's a tank, it's purty, and I just wish they had come out with it a long time ago and saved us Ruger lovers a bunch of busted knuckles and all the cussin' and fussin' over them. Ruger will sell as many of these as they can make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here she is with the stock front and the new fiber optic front sight from Tactical Solutions via MidwayUSA.
IMG_3407.JPG
IMG_3410.JPG
IMG_3411.JPG

It's the same height as the stock sight and so much easier to pick it up! I went with green; I have red on a few other pistols. I mean; I would go with red on other pistols if I had any others, but since I don't, and this one is just a replica, I mean ever since the terrible boating accident...what? What's that you say? Oh...Trump won huh? Well, never mind.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're trying to corner the market on cool guns, ain't ya, smarty pants? :wave: One of these days I'll get up that way....really! And, congrats on the cool Ruger!

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're trying to corner the market on cool guns, ain't ya, smarty pants? :wave: One of these days I'll get up that way....really! And, congrats on the cool Ruger!

Yeah, but I can't help it! Coolness is as coolness does. Can I help it that back in the day, The Fonz used to call me for advice? Just bring your self on up the road; we'll put holes in paper and just be cool while doing so.

Latest posts

Top Bottom