Ruger No.1 .308Winchester or Suggestions…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I’ve been slowly growing my stash of .308 and have finally gotten a pretty good stockpile, at least in 150grain. I have been thinking of adding another rifle in that chambering mainly because I like .308 and don’t really wanna stock another caliber. My thoughts have been on a Ruger No.1. Has anyone owned one in .308? I’m open to other suggestions too. Maybe a Thompson Center? I just like the idea of a single shot and I like to buy once cry once.

or should I just add another bolt action and get a Ruger RPR or the Savage equivalent, maybe bergara? Of course this would probably be mainly a hunting rifle if I do decide to add another rifle.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go for the Ruger 1.

All the other guns are great guns. But I just like Ruger1's. They are a classy gun.

I haven't bought a new gun in years. I like old guns especially single Shots. I would like to get an old Farquharson but my pockets are not deep enough. Ruger 1's are the modern equivalent. If I bought a new gun first choice would be the Ruger

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never owned one or shot one. I do remember reading somewhere once that they weren't known to be real accurate. I can't remember where I read it or what accurate was to the writer. This is a quote out of a Gun Test article.
By most reports, Ruger No. 1s these
days are as accurate out of the box as bolt
rifles. But such comparisons reflect a preoccupation
with group sizes. Excepting
the heavy-barreled varmint version and
No. l- Bs destined for long shots on the
prairie, most of these rifles go to hunters
who cannot hold even three minutes of angle.

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The No. 1 can be as accurate, 99% of the accuracy issues are the forearm tension and a less than desirable trigger, both of which can be dealt with if needed.

Farmer925

Marksman
Reaction score
I have a standard ruger #1 in 30/06 with no mods. It shoots 1.5 inch (100 yd) groups with most factory ammo. Probably could get one inch or less if I developed a load for it but I seldom shoot anything beyond 300 yards. Great rifle.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
None of my past Ruger 1's have had accuracy problems. When I had my Gunsmithing shop open many years ago I had a number of Ruger 1's in for accuracy assures. Especially if some "rag righter" had recently wrote something bad about them.

I never saw one of these guns that shot bad, they shot on par with every other factory rifle that came in. Sometimes not great shooters, but not bad.

They could be made to shoot better just like every other rifle being sold at the time.

Ruger's of all types have been plagued with bad scope rings, bad triggers, bad barrels and poor mouth writers. And then the internet came along and second-hand gossip ran amuck.

Last edited:

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a .270 in the ruger #1 and it is a tack driver. I've got a 7mm mag in the encore and the ruger .270 is what I usually grab when I need a precise shot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom