Ruger No.1 .308Winchester or Suggestions…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you cant find a Ruger, look for a Henry. I am a single shot rifle fan, and have a Henry. Very well made.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Falling blocks are way cooler than break actions.

As mentioned, if needed the No. 1 can be accurized fairly easily with tweaks to the forend.

No.1s also hold their value pretty dang well and are usually a pretty easy sell if you decide it's not for you.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never owned one or shot one. I do remember reading somewhere once that they weren't known to be real accurate. I can't remember where I read it or what accurate was to the writer. This is a quote out of a Gun Test article.
By most reports, Ruger No. 1s these
days are as accurate out of the box as bolt
rifles. But such comparisons reflect a preoccupation
with group sizes. Excepting
the heavy-barreled varmint version and
No. l- Bs destined for long shots on the
prairie, most of these rifles go to hunters
who cannot hold even three minutes of angle.
I've owned several #1's over the years, the first one was a 26/06 and didn't group that well (1 1/2-2" groups) but later found an article on how to bed in the for-end which helped quite a bit , groups went down to 3/4" I've done everyone that way since and all have shot as good as any over-the-counter bolt gun.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
None of my past Ruger 1's have had accuracy problems. When I had my Gunsmithing shop open many years ago I had a number of Ruger 1's in for accuracy assures. Especially if some "rag righter" had recently wrote something bad about them.

I never saw one of these guns that shot bad, they shot on par with every other factory rifle that came in. Sometimes not great shooters, but not bad.

They could be made to shoot better just like every other rifle being sold at the time.

Ruger's of all types have been plagued with bad scope rings, bad triggers, bad barrels and poor mouth writers. And then the internet came along and second-hand gossip ran amuck.
A lot of self-professed experts out there on ANY subject, gotta wade thru 100's of tons of bs to find ONE person that knows what he's talking about, same way with gun smiths, you gotta really check these guys out before you commit to one, there are so many "metal-manglers" out there that claim they are gun smiths.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of self-professed experts out there on ANY subject, gotta wade thru 100's of tons of bs to find ONE person that knows what he's talking about, same way with gun smiths, you gotta really check these guys out before you commit to one, there are so many "metal-manglers" out there that claim they are gun smiths.
I'm not sure what you are saying. Should I feel insulted?

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you are saying. Should I feel insulted?
Not at all, if you were in business for a lot of years then you must have been one of the good ones, I'm just saying there are a lot of shady ones out there these days and one should be careful, I got burnt a couple times years ago so I started doing my own stuff and have been since the 80's, I met a new guy here lately that has a shop close by and decided to try him out on a couple little jobs and he screwed them both up, get my point? It just takes one bad apple as the saying goes.

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
4DB362F1-2602-4A68-B821-CBA7734AD165.jpeg

#1 in 7STW. If I do my part, it always does well. Kinda heavy, but not a bad thing with this chambering. I also have a bull barrel 25-06, very accurate! They both have longer-than-typical barrels (26 & 24”) but the guns are short for such barrel length, making them quite handy. I believe they are the most natural-pointing rifles I’ve ever handled. Throw it against your shoulder, and you’re on it…..

Latest posts

Top Bottom