Ruger Precision Rimfire wont extract

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Brand new rifle...picked it up last Sunday and it wont extract fired cases.
I loaded the mag with CCI Standard Velocity and had to dig each spent case out.
Took out the bolt, swabbed the chamber and made sure extractor wasnt stuck and seemed to be fine so I loaded the mag again and it will cycle unfired rounds...so load once again and head outside and back to not extracting spent cases. Also tried some Winchester ammo with the same result.

Any suggestions here? Seems odd to me it will empty the mag if they're unfired but not once they get shot. Rough chamber grabbing the fire formed brass???

I was pretty excited about this little rig but that excitement vanished in a quickness.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did a quick search and came up with several videos

Attachments

• 7671C239-C1BA-48C9-94B2-89AC523B6923.png
    7671C239-C1BA-48C9-94B2-89AC523B6923.png
    193.7 KB · Views: 56

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well it appears that "fix" is an older one, and that "fix" has been implemented by Ruger as my bolt doesnt have the same bump there.

In another one of his videos, he shows that the rounds would extract from the chamber but then fall into the receiver and not eject because that spring isnt holding it well. Mine flat wont extract from the chamber at all ON A FIRED CASE, so that appears to be a different issue completely I guess.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Extractor looks "off" in those pics because the extractor retaining clip is removed for the pics...with the clip on it is in proper location.

Took some bore scrubber to a qtip and the chamber until it came out perfectly white (didnt take much, so the chamber wasnt filthy)...but it is rough in the chamber. Got out my 10/22 takedown (granted, it has an aftermarket barrel, but still) and ran a qtip in that with an uncleaned chamber and it felt smooth as glass.

I fired off an email to Ruger yesterday so we'll see what their response is, but I think that's the culprit. Brass forming to a rough chamber and getting stuck. That would explain it cycling unfired ammo just fine, but not cycling fired empty cases at all.

Pretty disappointing regardless, I've not had much luck with gun stuff over the last two years but here I am still buying stuff like there's no tomorrow LOL. I guess maybe its time to lay off on collecting toys and enjoy what I have until the market isnt so crazy and maybe QC goes up.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I take the roughness back...I guess I was feeling the qtip rubbing against the edge of the chamber. Bend the qtip for a more direct approach angle and its smooth.

IDK WTF is going on. I guess I'll just send this POS back to Ruger. :(

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have some match ammo, give it a try. I don't remember if the Ruger has a match chamber, but cheap ammo will hang up in my Volquartsen barrel. However I haven't had that issue with CCI.

Latest posts

Top Bottom