Ruger rimfires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most other semi-auto rimfire rifles and handguns won't cycle that or anything like it, such as CCI Quiets, in my experience.

Now, as to the OP's issue: Can't say much to help on the 10/22, but for the MK IV, break it down, then clean and lube, as @dlbleak 's post above. Use a light oil, absolutely no grease or motor oil. Something like Rem Oil or any other really light oil. It doesn't have to be dripping wet, just a light coat of light weight oil is fine. Then run a couple hundred 40 grain CCI Mini Mags through it. The 40 grain round nose is best; they will just perform just a tad bit better than the 36 grain CCI HP's for this purpose, IMO. After that, repeat the clean and lube process and see how it's running. If that doesn't work, bring it to me with all your .22 LR ammo and I'll take it from there.

In all seriousness, my MK IV will cycle about anything now except the CCI Quiet and similar really low-powered ammo, like the Aquila sub sonic rounds @emapples had a problem with. If you'll do as suggested, yours should to.

Your right , all the subsonic rounds won’t cycle but I wonder how much of the issue is just poor quality control from 22 lr manufacturers and how much is the weapon.

I’ve been using the same Product for 10 years it leaves a very fine film ......I had good luck with it and just never used anything since. I still have some Hobbs and Remington gun oil but this stuff has done the trick since I started using it.

Since being inflicted with GA Syndrome I keep several cans around :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 122

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I lightly oil when I break down and clean my 10-22's, but it's a rare process. Maybe every few years or 5k rnds. When they start stove piping, I'll squirt some remoil or kroil in an open bolt, depends which bag I've got. The dirtier they get, the wetter they like to run. That slurry will eventually polish your mating surfaces.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would you run your car with no oil, and how long would you expect it to last without lubrication? I've seen so many folks come to matches etc with dry guns and they can't understand why they don't run reliability. Put some light oil on the bearing surfaces and you will notice the difference. If your shooting at 100 degrees, you can get away with a heavier oil, but at cold temps you need a very light oil. Synthetics typically run year around as they don't thicken or thin with temperature changes.
10-22's are a blow back action. Anytime you impede the recoil spring by any means be it friction from no lube or low gas pressure from low velocity rounds is going to cause trouble with feeding, ejection and whatever.
Put some oil on your gun and it will run.
I can't tell you how many $5000 + OU or SXS shotguns I've seen ruined because the owners refused to put oil or grease on the hinge.
Same with the holy grail for me which would be the .22 hornet/20 gage combo Savage. I've never seen one without a sloppy action brought on by not lubing the hinge of the breakover.
Edit: the video about the top five failures is spot on regarding the mags. Only the 10 round rotary mags run without issues for the most part. I've ran the BX-15 and the BX-25 and they have failures.
Heck just forget the 10-22, and get a Nordic NC-22 upper for your AR lower with Black Dog magazines and all of your issues just go away that are associated with Ruger 10-22's.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought my 10/22 at the Kmart in Broken Arrow (where the Harbor Freight is now), the price went from $96 to $129, I had to buy after the price increase, to your lube situation; Ruger has a 5 minute video on cleaning and lubrication:
Here is the link:
https://ruger.com/videos.html?vid=229321344&cat=3769276
I like a light coat of SLIP 2000 EWL:
https://www.slip2000.com/slip2000_ewl.php
It is what the instructor at the Glock Armorers course recommended; Sig Sauer Training Academy; Hickok45 & the Coast Guard use Ballistol.
https://ballistol.com
I totally agree with above post about magazines, the 10 round rotary magazines are the way to go.
For years my 10/22 sat in my closet, a friend bought the Hogue rubber stock and the carbon fiber stainless steel barrel , with a LG-1 Gilmore Luepold red dot scope; I did the same ( I spent more on barrel, stock and sight then I did on the whole rifle) very light -- lots of fun to shoot.
Finally traded the original barrel and the wood and the Hogue stock to a co-worker for the Bell and Carlson stock.
http://www.bellandcarlson.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1109
Now insanely fun !!!

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oiled the 2 of them up pretty wet with Slip 2000 and went shootin today.. The MKIV ran 8 mags with no hiccups, put a smile on my face .. The 10/22 TD ran the 3 BX 25 mags without issue but when I got to the 3 Butler creeks I had a few jams.. The mag was sending the round in too high, so I had to play with the mag pivot.. Had a good time blastin 230 rds for cheap.. Now I need more and better optics..

Attachments

• IMG_20181208_163309.jpg
    IMG_20181208_163309.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20181208_163240.jpg
    IMG_20181208_163240.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20181208_163215.jpg
    IMG_20181208_163215.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 111

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Oiled the 2 of them up pretty wet with Slip 2000 and went shootin today.. The MKIV ran 8 mags with no hiccups, put a smile on my face .. The 10/22 TD ran the 3 BX 25 mags without issue but when I got to the 3 Butler creeks I had a few jams.. The mag was sending the round in too high, so I had to play with the mag pivot.. Had a good time blastin 230 rds for cheap.. Now I need more and better optics..
Nice,I’ve had issues with the butler Creek mags too. They get dirty and gritty inside. I soaked mine in some soapy water then blew out with a compressor. All I did was use a q-tip with ballistoil on the feeding surface. It helped a bunch but almost need to do it every time.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SOP, for a new gun.. Both have been disassembled cleaned and lightly oiled with slip2000, it'll be next weekend before I shoot again unless I play hooky from work.. The MK IV probably hasn't seen the 300 rd mark yet and all ammo is HV.. If there was a drum mag for it.....
Thanks Ya'll..

Ask and ye shall receive:
http://blackdogmachinellc.net/1022magsdrums.aspx

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Recommend to scrap the butler creek mags. They can make great flip up scope caps, but not magazines. I’ve never had such problem with 10/22’s. Went back to Ruger mags and once I ironed out the Bx-25, all things were great.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a half dozen black dog magazines and two of the 50 round drum mags for my Nordic NC-22 that run flawlessly. I'll bet the mags for 10-22 run as well.
When they first started making hi cap mags for the Nordic, the 25 rounder with the steel lips proved to be not reliable. They finally saw that and replaced two of mine with one 50 round drum. Great Customer service.

Latest posts

Top Bottom