Ruger Security Six Lowback fixed sight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neokshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking at a Ruger Security Six Low back in .357 magnum. It's a 4" blue with the original grips. It's got a little wear around the muzzle in fact it has a couple of pretty good dings on the under side of the muzzle. Otherwise it looks pretty clean. I believe it was from 1973. Now this is where it gets interesting, at least to me. It is a Security Six but is a fixed sight like a Service Six. I'm told it is a transitional model. What is the difference, if any , in value for an older model and a low back as opposed to a later model. Then what would it being a fixed sight Security Six add to the value. Are these pretty rare? Looking for an approximate value.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I can't offer real help with a value. They are "rare", but not the kind that makes it worth 10x as much. You see them on Gunbroker occasionally.

IMO, an early pre-warning "normal" Security Six would be worth $5-600 in Very Good condition (but not Mint - those are hard to judge value). This being in Good condition - with the muzzle wear and dings, I would say not much more than that.

But, I'm not a serious collector. My ideal is an early, revision pre-warning model in Good to Very Good condition that I can shoot. I'm not a fan of high value or super rare variants that command safe queen prices.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am not an expert, but my understanding is that the fixed sight Security Six was simply re-branded to a Service Six as a marketing ploy. Thus to me, the value of rarity is in question. My stainless Security Six is from '74. That thing is a rock solid beast. If your gun is decent and has a good price then go for it, but I wouldn't pay a premium.

Just an opinion.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those are uncommon but not particularly rare. They stocks are unique and later security six stocks won't fit. They're difficult to put a value on because Rugers don't typically bring much even though they're excellent revolvers. The last transition model security six I bought was in great condition with a 3" barrel and I paid around 350.00, but that doesn't necessarily indicate value. IMO, any good condition (Smith or Ruger) .357 mag is probably worth at least 400 bucks on the low end and go up from there.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve never heard of a “low back” with the Security Six.

I carried a Police Service Six in .357 for awhile. It was a fixed sight 4” barrel with blue finish.

I could be wrong, but I thought the Service Six was .38 special only.

Got any pictures?

neokshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey thanks to all of you for your reply's. Unfortunately I was unable to get that Security Six transitional model. I did, however, buy a Service Six 4" blue made in 1977 pre warning for $489.00. Here is a picture. It's a .357
six.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom