Ruger Security Six Lowback fixed sight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neokshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_20180421_175545001_LL~3.jpg
Finally got my Ruger Police Service Six. Very pleased with it. Mechanically it is in excellent shape. The grips are near perfect. The bore is bright and shiny with good lands and grooves. All the chambers are clean and shiny. The action locks up tight and the action is nice and smooth. Finish is good as it retains approximately 95% of the original finish. It does have some little handling marks and a few light scratches. It also needs a little clean up on the bare sides of the hammer and trigger. I found a pretty nice plain black Don Hume thumb break holster that fits it perfectly. I'm tossing around ideas of things I might like to do with this gun. I would appreciate anyone's opinion. I have considered a more durable finish like CeraKote. Maybe some custom grips (of course I'd keep the originals) and maybe a Wolff Spring kit just to make that action and trigger pull a little nicer. I guess I'm Just one of those people that likes to customize and personalize my guns unless there is a collectors value involved. Any thoughts on these modifications?

Last edited:

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good looking gun. It's getting harder to find those Six Series in very good shape, at least cosmetically.

First thing I would do with that revolver is shoot it. Alot. See if you need to change anything.

Then, in order for me, would be
- spring kit.
- grips - a Tyler t-grip would be perfect. This is my 1976 Police Service Six in 38Spl, with a t-grip-
P1010121.JPG

P1010115.JPG

Personally, re-coating it would be at the very bottom of the list. Underneath re-barreling it to a 22-250. As in - it will never happen to my guns.

My feelings are that the gun looks the way it does because of where it's been. I'm fine with that.
If it shoots well, the rest of it is unimportant.

neokshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good looking gun. It's getting harder to find those Six Series in very good shape, at least cosmetically.

First thing I would do with that revolver is shoot it. Alot. See if you need to change anything.

Then, in order for me, would be
- spring kit.
- grips - a Tyler t-grip would be perfect. This is my 1976 Police Service Six in 38Spl, with a t-grip-
View attachment 117503

View attachment 117504

Personally, re-coating it would be at the very bottom of the list. Underneath re-barreling it to a 22-250. As in - it will never happen to my guns.

My feelings are that the gun looks the way it does because of where it's been. I'm fine with that.
If it shoots well, the rest of it is unimportant.

Okay that sounds pretty good. I do intend to shoot it quite a bit. The coating kind of was at the bottom of my list but not completely out of consideration. I'd even considered a high gloss re blue. But nothing is going to happen right away except shooting it of course. Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Top Bottom