Ruger Super Redhawk 10mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the .44 they already have is a better option for hunting than a 10mm even for deer. Unless your buying the premium 10mm ammo it is not any hotter than a .40 S&W. I found that out.

fubarjohnnyr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're into the same neighborhood of caliber, the 41 magnum will outdo the 10mm in every way ballistic wise. The only advantage I see that the 10mm would have is availability and cost per round.

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you are reloading ten millimeter is just barely over 40 SW specs. Now the Norma and Frontier ammo that I still have for my Bren Ten was amazing. In fact I'd say it was one of the contributions to the original 10mm dying off

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always heard the FBI agents couldn't handle the recoil, thats how the .40 came about. Over the years it has been down loaded just like every other round. But even with ''hot'' ammo its a poor second to a .41 magnum. I can't figure why everyone thinks its a great hunting round, its very under powered compared to a .41, .44 or .45 Colt when loaded in strong revolvers. I think its popular because of lower recoil not for power. If you want power in an auto loader thats still packable the .460 Rowland is pretty awesome.

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always heard the FBI agents couldn't handle the recoil, thats how the .40 came about. Over the years it has been down loaded just like every other round. But even with ''hot'' ammo its a poor second to a .41 magnum. I can't figure why everyone thinks its a great hunting round, its very under powered compared to a .41, .44 or .45 Colt when loaded in strong revolvers. I think its popular because of lower recoil not for power. If you want power in an auto loader thats still packable the .460 Rowland is pretty awesome.
The original Norma loading produced energy beyond the standard 158 grain 357 and right on the heels of the 41 mag 210 grain loading. Muzzle flash was ridiculous modern 10mm are very anemic by comparison. But as an ultimate combat handgun I think it failed simply too hot and the original Dornous and Dixon guns had to much startup problems. I had two pistols with one magazine that worked and one that did not all the time I owned them. Went to the LAR Grizzily in 45 win mag and that did not pan out either at least for me. My woods walking gun is a Ruger GP100 in 44 special now

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some have bored out the S&W 610 to us the 10mm magnum case that Starline sells. Without even looking at one I'd bet the Super Redhawk cylinder can be modified the same way. DoubleTap sells sells loaded ammo, like a 230 gr hardcast at 1250 fps, or 135 gr at 1900 fps if you feel the need for speed.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a couple of Grizzly's over the years, but someone always wanted them more than me and i sent them down the road, I have a Wildey now in 45 win mag. The .460 Rowland is cool because its .44 magnum power in a 1911 size gun, they even make a kit for a S&W M&P I think. They will probably sell the 10mm Redhawks like hot cakes but I just don't see the point in one

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought the 10mm magnum was dead long ago, IAI made an Automag 4 and I think t/c made a barrel for the contender. Thats cool though I haven't heard anything about that round in years

Latest posts

Top Bottom