Ruger Wrangler review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The manual for every Ruger I own recommends dry-firing to become acquainted with the gun. My 22/45 has a warning about dry firing without a pin in place-it says to do so will leave the gun inoperable. I can say that it is correct, it did screw up my pistol-nothing a quick filing couldn’t fix!😜

Are you referring to every Ruger manual that is for a rimfire or centerfire? I am no 'gun oracle', but I think that usually there is a difference 😁.

Glad you fixed your 22/45.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used snap caps for years. More recently bought A-Zoom brand for dry practice. The little red plastic .22 kind are flimsy, seem to chip and break down with moderate use. I like plug one of those into a semi-auto .22 chamber and release the hammer, before stowing it in the safe for a long while.

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you referring to every Ruger manual that is for a rimfire or centerfire? I am no 'gun oracle', but I think that usually there is a difference 😁.

Glad you fixed your 22/45.
The 22s…….the 10/22 was in reference to the “target model trigger”…. My M77 MK2 Target‘s manual has a similar statement towards the back of the book….. It’s a 22-250, not a rimfire.
I do use snap-caps, I just don’t worry too much about my Rugers…..if you break one of those, you were trying😉

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Correct fix for the damaged chamber would be to use a chamber iron or a long taper center punch. Press the displaced metal back into position. The Wrangler firing pin should NOT be extending far enough to contact the cylinder chamber face. The Wrangler is designed to be dry fired for practice as per the owners manual.
I read a post that Ruger replaced a Wrangler with the same problem as yours.

If that is a fact that the firing pin should not contact the face then my luck with every Ruger firearm I have ever owned is
100% BAD.
First was Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley in 45 colt with chambers all different sizes and a pinched down barrel where it enters the frame.

Second was a Ruger American .308 with what looked like the reamer to finish the chamber had broke off during the process.
Brass eater and terrible groups.

Third was a New Ruger 10-22 Bad accuracy with any ammo and never finish off a magazine without jamming or some other issue.

And I was hesitant to buy this Ruger Wrangler but the price was right and I had to try it and for the price I could sell
it for the same and get my money back.

Small tweak and it is running great though.
I tweaked the 45 Colt and made it better, a lot better but not good enough to keep it.

The American .308 is now a shorter barrel and is only shooting mouse fart cast loads as such a low velocity that the brass does not need resizing.
That is a fun load and the rifle is very accurate with it for the short distance those 664 fps 100 gr bullets are made for.
Squirrel heads in a tree.

Spitfire

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The manual for every Ruger I own recommends dry-firing to become acquainted with the gun. My 22/45 has a warning about dry firing without a pin in place-it says to do so will leave the gun inoperable. I can say that it is correct, it did screw up my pistol-nothing a quick filing couldn’t fix!😜
I bought a box of 40 yellow plastic drywall anchors #4-6x7/8in for a few dollars at Lowes. Loaded them in all my .22 revolvers. They make great snap caps. Highly visible, inexpensive and they work great.
IMG_1509.JPG

Latest posts

Top Bottom