Rules for private FTF sales

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ack

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure on the rules for private face-to-face sales between two Oklahoma residents. Can someone please clarify for me? Can any legal firearm be sold privately with no FFL or reporting needed? Even handguns? Thanks.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only legal requirement is to satisfy yourself they are not prohibited from owning the gun you are selling and are OK residents, over 18.
If you don't know them just ask to see a driver's license and ask them if they have any restrictions on owning guns. There are no legal record keeping requirements, but I do anyway to CYA in case something goes wrong.

Anybody that won't show me a driver's license or answer my questions, No Sale.

zerotonothing

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're exactly right. Thank God we live in Oklahoma.

It's not neccesary to do any paperwork. However, I do like to get/give a bill of sale to people that I do not know personally. I also like to verify that the buyer is an Oklahoma resident and at least 21 (or over 18 for long guns).

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are no requirements for FTF other than stamp regulated items. Personally, I do not take info, I may look at a DL for verification, but will not mess with a receipt or give that info to someone either. I don't know them, they don't need it, if I wanted to give that out, I would go to a gun store and buy one, where I feel reasonably sure my info is protected.

Not hiding anything, but some of this is just silly paranoia. If you feel any reservation on the deal, walk away. If I don't know you, and you do not have ID to verify it is legal, or seem spooky to me, we are done. :bolt:

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
Basically - give gun, take money or give money, take gun. A prudent person would to a reasonable extent verify that the person is at least 18 and have a reasonable belief that the recipient of a firearm is not a prohibited person . Let's keep the government out of this if we can.

Ack

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. So just to verify - no different rules for handguns than for long guns in private sales?

Also, can someone explain exactly what items require a tax stamp? Is this for ARs? It'd be great if someone could go over specific rules for what exactly cannot be sold privately without paperwork. I don't want to try to buy a black .22 with a 25 round magazine through the classifieds and end up having the feds swoop in, arrest me, and confiscate my unlicensed "assault rifle." :uhh:

FlimFlam

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Firearms that require tax stamps are Full Auto, Silencers, Short Barreled Rifles (less than 16") and/or a few others.

A semi-auto AR does not require a tax stamp

Latest posts

Top Bottom