Running 22 lr dummy rounds thru G44 for training

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ok-22shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several couples in our social group have expressed a desire to get some training using a hand gun. The individuals range from never firing a gun, some shooting at much younger age or having a gun but very limited experience. Both men and women. It turns out that most of our friends already are experienced gun owners.

I limit initial living room training to no more than two individuals working with only one gun out at at time. Absolutely no live rounds in room while training. I typically start using my SIRT laser trainer in the living room letting them get use to seeing how the trigger pull can effect the impact point.

I have available both a S&W 63 revolver and Glock G44 for initial living room and later range training. Dry wall anchors work as dummy rounds for loading into a revolver but do no load very well into the mag of a G44. Does anyone have any experience using the 22 dummy rounds? Thinking of buying 20 or so of the orange dummy rounds. I am aware some of the dummy rounds do not hold up well to dry firing. The G44 will not have a lot of dry firing and each round feed from the mag will have a different orientation. My G44 has had almost zero failures when using CCI SV. Bulk ammo has had a few failures.

Will have 9mm dummy rounds for a few of the owners guns to determine their ability to rack slides safely and clearing failures. I typically move new shooters up to 38 Spec revolver b4 moving to a 9mm semi-auto.

Over the years I have had the pleasure of introducing well over a dozen individuals to shooting guns. One neighbor couple was 100% against guns until they where stuck in a Houston evacuation from a hurricane. They looked around at an endless line of stuck cars with lots of desperate people and absolutely no way of defending themself. After less than 100 rounds of 22 lr at an indoor range, and the light came on as to why many of us are so willing to defend our right granted by the 2nd Amendment in the greatest country in the world.

2A Shooting in Tulsa will probably be our first live fire training. Training will eventually move to a private outdoor range with lots of steel plates to shot. Ruger 10/22s or the equivalent can really help the economy by burning thru lots of rounds resulting in big smiles.

Again, will the dummy rounds feed and chamber in a G44?

L.C.

👮🏻RETIRED L.E.O.👮🏻
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if they will or not, but, 22 dummy rounds are cheap enough that I would just purchase some and find out.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Spent 22 shells can be turned into dummy rounds for cheap if needed and they can be tossed once the rim has enough striker dents.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
You might check the manual to be sure but I don’t know if it’s a good idea to dry fire a Glock 44 much. You should also sell me that model 63 asap. I’d just buy 22 dummy rounds on Amazon. Or..use a centerfire Glock with dummy rounds. The weight of a regular Glock versus the 44 is significant. More like a pistol they would have for self defense. I realize you might want to start them on a 22 for actual firing though.

Frank Pope

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might check the manual to be sure but I don’t know if it’s a good idea to dry fire a Glock 44 much. You should also sell me that model 63 asap. I’d just buy 22 dummy rounds on Amazon. Or..use a centerfire Glock with dummy rounds. The weight of a regular Glock versus the 44 is significant. More like a pistol they would have for self defense. I realize you might want to start them on a 22 for actual firing though.
The cheapest .22 "dummy rounds" are #4 screw anchors. You can buy 50 of them for what 4 dummy rounds cost.

Latest posts

Top Bottom