Rural Internet options ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Picked this up off of Ebay for $175 and a monthly of 69.99..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AT-T-Truly...502174?hash=item2d05e6389e:g:3zcAAOSw7IpdPwd9

Have done several speed tests today and the best download I've seen was 28 mbps down with an upload of near 8 mbps.. A nice improvement over the "said" 6 up 6 down we never saw from our previous ISP .. When I 1st became interested in this the monthly was $34.99 but it doubled by the time I was able to swing it.. Quick and easy set up and the fellow was quick to answer all text messages.. It's nice having this pc move a bit faster.. 20200326_143132.jpg

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been searching for a better internet option than our Verizon phones and possibly streaming rather than Dtv for a while now. Looking into Provalue, but wanted to complete our house project first. A few weeks ago some on OSA in a different thread posted about https://www.otrmobile.com/ . It looked promising but you have to be an AT&T phone user.

With the current situation I need reliable high speed internet at home. Going to call Provalue tomorrow and any other suggestions or options are welcome.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been searching for a better internet option than our Verizon phones and possibly streaming rather than Dtv for a while now. Looking into Provalue, but wanted to complete our house project first. A few weeks ago some on OSA in a different thread posted about https://www.otrmobile.com/ . It looked promising but you have to be an AT&T phone user.

With the current situation I need reliable high speed internet at home. Going to call Provalue tomorrow and any other suggestions or options are welcome.

I did a search and found the tower N of Prague to be att, I don't have an att phone but now have att wireless.. At present it is heads above what we had..

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL, I hit the mic button on the phone and asked who's communication tower was N of Prague and it showed me.. The tech folks on here may be able to provide you with more since I'm of no help..

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice site but with all selected there are three towers missing close to me. One i a Sprint tower over 10 years old, another ATT 4-5 years old, and another Verizon 2-3 years old. US Cellular is on the Sprint tower 2.3 miles from me. It might be more accurate in other areas.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did a search and found the tower N of Prague to be att, I don't have an att phone but now have att wireless.. At present it is heads above what we had..
You are correct about the tower north of Prague being ATT. I have seen them working on it several times when I’m working in Prague. They recently installed another tower about 100 yards south of this tower. Then they ran some underground line to it. I don’t know what it is for though. I don’t know why they need two towers right next to each other. But they are there nonetheless. I always check my phone signal when I’m driving around to see if it’s an att tower or not. If it is and I’m within about 500 yards I get full bars. There is one NE of stroud too. Just right off 66 next to the turnpike deal. ( not the turnpike entrance by highway 99 but further East).

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Picked this up off of Ebay for $175 and a monthly of 69.99..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AT-T-Truly...502174?hash=item2d05e6389e:g:3zcAAOSw7IpdPwd9

Have done several speed tests today and the best download I've seen was 28 mbps down with an upload of near 8 mbps.. A nice improvement over the "said" 6 up 6 down we never saw from our previous ISP .. When I 1st became interested in this the monthly was $34.99 but it doubled by the time I was able to swing it.. Quick and easy set up and the fellow was quick to answer all text messages.. It's nice having this pc move a bit faster..View attachment 157842
How on earth is it truly unlimited with no throttle? Why would att allow that? I always thought these were a crock. But I’m glad it’s working for you. Have you actually checked to see if it’s really unlimited with no throttle?

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How on earth is it truly unlimited with no throttle? Why would att allow that? I always thought these were a crock. But I’m glad it’s working for you. Have you actually checked to see if it’s really unlimited with no throttle?

I have been reading and getting some information on this type of thing and what some of the Cellular routers like that are able to do is set all the traffic to a different TTL (time to live) and basically make it seem like it's a cell phone doing streaming rather than regular web traffic. And the cell providers want people to be happy so they will generally leave streaming data alone unless it's a last resort. But this has to be done on the router so that it looks like a cell phone, the regular hot spots won't work the same way. The only way they will slow you down is if you go over a certain amount (some carriers are 50GB and some are 75) and the tower is overloaded.

For instance this one https://amzn.to/2xsjU1b has the ability to change the TTL on all data. Go in and set the WAN TTL to 65, apply, reboot and check that it is set and everything the carrier sees is considered streaming.

I know some people have claimed to have used over 100GB in a month this way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom