Rural Internet options ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How on earth is it truly unlimited with no throttle? Why would att allow that? I always thought these were a crock. But I’m glad it’s working for you. Have you actually checked to see if it’s really unlimited with no throttle?

It came in the mail yesterday, so "I" am limited data so far.. It gave me 44mbps down this morning.. I'll update this thread if anything notable arises.. This has been going on and if I had had the coin to hop on it a couple months ago it would have been $34.99, it just recently doubled due to the "secret" getting out..

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been reading and getting some information on this type of thing and what some of the Cellular routers like that are able to do is set all the traffic to a different TTL (time to live) and basically make it seem like it's a cell phone doing streaming rather than regular web traffic. And the cell providers want people to be happy so they will generally leave streaming data alone unless it's a last resort. But this has to be done on the router so that it looks like a cell phone, the regular hot spots won't work the same way. The only way they will slow you down is if you go over a certain amount (some carriers are 50GB and some are 75) and the tower is overloaded.

For instance this one https://amzn.to/2xsjU1b has the ability to change the TTL on all data. Go in and set the WAN TTL to 65, apply, reboot and check that it is set and everything the carrier sees is considered streaming.

I know some people have claimed to have used over 100GB in a month this way.
Thanks for explaining it. Seems like the companies like ATT would have these things shut down. But I’m glad folks are able to get something that works for them.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for explaining it. Seems like the companies like ATT would have these things shut down. But I’m glad folks are able to get something that works for them.

They can and probably will for people who cause multiple issues constantly. But overall they would have to wait until something happens and it's flagged to know who to shut down or they would have to blanket remove certain devices from their network. The thing there is a new device will pop up that does the same thing and the people who are removed will find another way to get back on the network. The other option is deep packet inspection but that starts to get into the realm of privacy, they can't inspect packets that are encrypted and they would have to do it network wide which means a lot of hardware dedicated to just inspecting things. To be honest they already know people will begin using more and more data and they would be better off in investing the money into faster infrastructure and more bandwidth than inspecting packets and they know it.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just came across something interesting, the router I linked on Amazon can actually be homebuilt.

https://ltehacks.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=233

Basically buy the router and install the cell data module then load the OS and run with it. If you use the same components the other one uses for the cell data you should be able to flash their OS on it as well. And later on when lets say 5G devices are the norm you should be able to just swap out the cell card and keep moving along.

May just spend a few bucks and grab one to mess around with as it is actually pretty cheap to build.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just came across something interesting, the router I linked on Amazon can actually be homebuilt.

https://ltehacks.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=233

Basically buy the router and install the cell data module then load the OS and run with it. If you use the same components the other one uses for the cell data you should be able to flash their OS on it as well. And later on when lets say 5G devices are the norm you should be able to just swap out the cell card and keep moving along.

May just spend a few bucks and grab one to mess around with as it is actually pretty cheap to build.

The package this router came in was about 10"x10"x2" and felt empty.. LOL.. As said it was plug and play on the computer and 2 minutes to get Netflix going..

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The package this router came in was about 10"x10"x2" and felt empty.. LOL.. As said it was plug and play on the computer and 2 minutes to get Netflix going..

Right and is also paired with service. The one I linked is basically the same type of thing and is bring your own service so basically an unlimited cell addon plan to a family plan and the hardware can be had for 100 to 150 outright.

The each get to the same results but the costs and time involved on the users end is different.

Latest posts

Top Bottom