Russian Spam Can Value

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Russian imports don't stop for another two years, there are two international brands outside of Russia that already make 7.62x39 and the thought that Wolf isn't going to figure out a new deal with someone in the former soviet bloc to make more ammo is just silly. 5.45x39 and 7.62x54 are in trouble but 7.62x39 is fine. All ammo is insane right now but assuming conditions ever normalize, even if this Russian sanction remains in place, I don't see 7.62x39 ever being more than a few cpr higher than 5.56 in the WORST case scenario.
Well I can’t get any containers in from anywhere right now Asia or Europe I would guess they have the same problem.

AguaFriaRanger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I can’t get any containers in from anywhere right now Asia or Europe I would guess they have the same problem.
As I said, the ammo market is insane right now. But thinking that 7.62x39 is doomed to be a boutique, brass only oddity is just not based in any version of reality I can conceive of. The Russian ban is going to force ALL ammo up a fair margin because of the loss of steel case (yes, even 5.56/9mm/.308). Proportionally the 7.62x39 market may be getting hit harder by the ban than other calibers but it has not lost everything if you exclude Russia. The same is not true for 7.62x54 and 5.45x39 because they are almost exclusively produced in Russia and for 5.45 in particular I don't think ANYONE makes 5.45 without at least using Russian cases (Hornady uses Russian cases for their 5.45). So those two calibers are in trouble. The whole ammo market is going up. But the market going up also means that there is a greater chance someone will step up to fill that market gap. There is too much money to be made in that cheap ammo customer segment for the whole world to just go "wow that sucks" and do nothing about it.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I said, the ammo market is insane right now. But thinking that 7.62x39 is doomed to be a boutique, brass only oddity is just not based in any version of reality I can conceive of. The Russian ban is going to force ALL ammo up a fair margin because of the loss of steel case (yes, even 5.56/9mm/.308). Proportionally the 7.62x39 market may be getting hit harder by the ban than other calibers but it has not lost everything if you exclude Russia. The same is not true for 7.62x54 and 5.45x39 because they are almost exclusively produced in Russia and for 5.45 in particular I don't think ANYONE makes 5.45 without at least using Russian cases (Hornady uses Russian cases for their 5.45). So those two calibers are in trouble. The whole ammo market is going up. But the market going up also means that there is a greater chance someone will step up to fill that market gap. There is too much money to be made in that cheap ammo customer segment for the whole world to just go "wow that sucks" and do nothing about it.
I agree it wont go away, 7.63x39 will go up permanently in price though when there isn’t any pricing pressure from Russian imports. I have quite a few rounds sitting around luckily. 7.62 X 54 well that was mostly surplus ammo I have a few cans of it I sold a few years ago when I sold the Mosi’s. I would be selling my 7.62x54 and my 5.45 if I still had any of them. Just wait this administration will do more to damage the supply side of ammunition mark my words.

Latest posts

Top Bottom