Russian Thistles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That looks like a nodding thistle (also called a musk thistle, IIRC). I hate those SOBs with the fire of a thousand suns--I spent years trying to eliminate them from my hay field. The state of Oklahoma hates them, too; they're legally a noxious weed, and could get you a $1,000 fine (if that law ever got enforced, which, I understand, it never is).

If you cut them off just under ground level, the plant will die, but it's usually just as easy to pull them. If you're doing it by hand, be careful and wear thick leather gloves, because those damn needles will go right through leather. I would grab them down low and pull up a little bit to bend the needles over before grabbing tight.

Fiskars makes a standup weed puller that does a really good job on the smaller plants or when they're in the rosette stage.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030MIHAU/
We have we are told Canadian thistle. Neighbor behind us (gotta be stupid) let them grow all over his property and we have them when the wind blows our way. The Weed Man tried and failed numerous times to rid us of them. Well the wife now cuts them off at ground level, takes a artists 1/4 in paint brush dipped in Roundup paints them and they are gone. Hard on the back but it works.

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something was asunder in the wikerpedia.
If a country boy from Oklahoma can’t identify tumbleweeds from sprout to finish, they must be from eastern Oklahoma.
Part right and part wrong. I am a country boy, grew up in the panhandle of Texas on a farm and ranch operation. Had a pretty good education in agriculture in High school and college. I was assistant manager for a large agricultural business. I sold and applied chemicals and fertilizer. We had a few tumbleweed around there. So I think you need to look else where for what is wrong!

Last edited:

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Part right and part wrong. I am a country boy, grew up in the panhandle of Texas on a farm and ranch operation. Had a pretty good education in agriculture in High school and college. I was assistant manager for a large agricultural business. I sold and applied chemicals and fertilizer. We had a few tumbleweed around there. So I think you need to look else where for what is wrong!
And you say tumbleweeds have pink flowers ?

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quite the bonifides.

Latest posts

Top Bottom