Rust Remover

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
50/50 white vinegar and water for no more than 30 minutes at a time. Any longer and it will start to eat the metal and can destroy iron or steel if left in long enough. (months)

Cleaning rust off cast iron I will soak, hit it with steel wool. Repeat if needed. If you have access to an etank, even better.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to remove rust

I'm attempting to restore an old hatchet that I found at an estate sale. I think the previous owner kept it outside in the mud for years from the look of it. But Im looking for any suggestions and am open to multiple methods if necessary for different types of metals.
Naval jelly, can get it at any hardware store. You can use it on an AR LPK to remove the paint and expose the parkerizing.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another vote for Naval Jelly...for an old hatchet. I'd be hesitant to use it on a firearm but for something like what you're trying to do, it will be okay. I think.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never use rust remover on a firearm, ever. One component of a firearm is its protective bluing, Rust remover will remove bluing and and etch the metal. Metal strip of it protective coating will rust very quickly unless protected.

Latest posts

Top Bottom