S&W 340PD Back to The Factory - Again!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the cylinder is not carrying up properly, it likely due to either the ratchets on the extractor not being cut properly or the hand. I'm assuming that the extractor may have been replaced rather than swapping the old one over from the previous cylinder.

Did you happen to notice if the cylinder was not carrying up on a specific chamber each time or was it occurring at random?

Didn’t pay that much attention to it but now that you bring it up, it seems it was every 4th pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didn’t pay that much attention to it but now that you bring it up, it seems it was every 4th pull.

Very likely that one of the ratchets was not cut correctly. If so, there is no excuse for it making it out the door that way. I'd be interested to see how many rounds (if any) were put through it when it was test fired after replacing the cylinder.

Sending a firearm back to S&W multiple times seems to be the norm these days. Once to fix the original issue and a few more time to fix what their piss poor excuse for gunsmiths end up botching.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Smith lost me when I bought a new in the box Model 13 to carry every day. It turned out the only chambers that fired were the three they test fired and left uncleaned from the factory. I changed to the 1911 platform that day.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Smith lost me when I bought a new in the box Model 13 to carry every day. It turned out the only chambers that fired were the three they test fired and left uncleaned from the factory. I changed to the 1911 platform that day.

S&W makes some nice 1911's too...just sayin'

I'm not concerned, they'll make it right.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And I got a notice from S&W that my repaired 340PD was on its way back to me today! I called customer service about it to see what was done, and the guy told me that the notes say that they fitted a new hand to the new cylinder that they had just installed a few weeks ago. He said sometimes new parts don't perfectly match up with old parts due to "tool wear?" Who knows? I was curious why they didn't just fit a new hand in the first place and he was kinda vague but basically, it's all about money...there was a good chance it would have been fine with the old hand, so they shipped it back that way...then since it wasn't working right, they had to put a new one in. I'm pretty sure it's part of the repair protocol, and my guess it's not as much on the gunsmith as it is on the company's policy. It's probably something like: "Fix the customers gun, but do it as as inexpensively to the company as you can with the minimum repair parts and labor needed." I meant to ask if Jesus C. worked on it, but I was all excited and forgot. Anyway, it's fixed, and on its way back! You still gotta give it to S&W Customer Service, I mean, it's easy to bash on 'em , but they did fix it, at no cost to me, sand covered shipping on it both ways too. I betcha it runs like a charm now too. We'll know in a couple of days.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And I got a notice from S&W that my repaired 340PD was on its way back to me today! I called customer service about it to see what was done, and the guy told me that the notes say that they fitted a new hand to the new cylinder that they had just installed a few weeks ago. He said sometimes new parts don't perfectly match up with old parts due to "tool wear?" Who knows? I was curious why they didn't just fit a new hand in the first place and he was kinda vague but basically, it's all about money...there was a good chance it would have been fine with the old hand, so they shipped it back that way...then since it wasn't working right, they had to put a new one in. I'm pretty sure it's part of the repair protocol, and my guess it's not as much on the gunsmith as it is on the company's policy. It's probably something like: "Fix the customers gun, but do it as as inexpensively to the company as you can with the minimum repair parts and labor needed." I meant to ask if Jesus C. worked on it, but I was all excited and forgot. Anyway, it's fixed, and on its way back! You still gotta give it to S&W Customer Service, I mean, it's easy to bash on 'em , but they did fix it, at no cost to me, sand covered shipping on it both ways too. I betcha it runs like a charm now too. We'll know in a couple of days.
What people need to understand is that they don't have gunsmiths anymore, they demand too much money. What they have are folks that are given a few minutes instruction on how to install a few parts that are specific to their particular job. Testing equates to, if it goes around, has the right clicking sounds, and goes bang when they try it out for real, it's GTG. If the customer has a problem with it, they'll give it as many tries as it takes to make it work up to the point of justifying just replacing it with another. Not that much of a gamble really as most people won't shoot more than a couple hundred rounds in the whole time they have it. It's a sad state of affairs these days...

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I understand that. But if it will just go around EVERY time and make clicking noises or bangs, as appropriate, I guess I’ll be happy. Seems like a lot of manufacturers are like this anymore.

I am curious though if the Performance Series guns get real gunsmiths to work on them; or if I were to send a gun in to get say...an action job done?

Last edited:

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Seems to me it would be cheaper to take to the firing line and ensure it goes bang for several cylinders or mags before they send it back!!:scratch:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I understand that. But if it will just go around EVERY time and make clicking noises or bangs, as appropriate, I guess I’ll be happy. Seems like a lot of manufacturers are like this anymore.

I am curious though if the Performance Series guns get real gunsmiths to work on them; or if I were to send a gun in to get say...an action job done?

No. Just different parts like better sights, maybe different springs for a better trigger and I doubt that, finish, etc. Just an upgraded feature set. Used to be their PC did good work.

I had them do an action job on a 625JM once and it was good except for their chamfer job. They barely touched them. It went back to have a new hammer installed because the plating was flaking off, so I had them tune it while it was there. But that's been probably close to 10 years ago. Today I'd be very leery of letting them work on anything. On the Enos forum there's a lot of horror stories about sending a new one back and it coming back looking like they set the barrel/cylinder gap with a wood rasp. Filing marks on the underside of the top strap, etc. Just piss poor workmanship overall. That's not the PC of old. :nolike:

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That being a super lightweight .357 you will probably always have problems if you shoot it a lot, Smith's have never been known for toughness in there magnum's, the model 19's had problems going out of time if they were shot much with hotter than .38 special loads so I can only imagine in an alloy framed gun. I love the big N-frames but there not nearly as durable as a Ruger Redhawk or Blackhawk, when it comes to the higher pressure loads. Those lightweights are made to shoot little and carry a lot, which they are great at. I know a a guy who has a 329 PD and has had hell with it since he bought it but its great in the woods carry gun, you forget you even have it its so light. So if I were planning on carrying one of those I would practice with standard pressure .38 specials and then load it with your good defense stuff when you carry it. It'll live a lot longer, that pressure just beats them to pieces.

Latest posts

Top Bottom