S&W 44 Magnum Mountain Gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago (Bargin Post days)I had the opportunity to buy a LNIB 329PD:
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-329pd
The original owner shot 2 rounds of .44 magnum, then I bought it from him. Beautiful firearm, Came with 2 grip sets, Wooden Ahread grips and rubber Hogue grips. This was prior to me reloading, and me not smart enough to shoot the .44 special rounds -- The first time I went to the range, I used the previous owners factory Winchester rounds, with the wooden grips, didn't make it through the 6 shot cylinder, switched to the Hogue grips, finished the box -- Ended up trading for a Sig 556; Still have my Desert Eagle --329 was a pain to clean -- powder residue was a pain to get off cylinder -- I reload .44 Magnum for my Desert Eagle; takes about 18 grains of H110 to get my Desert Eagle to cycle -- 16 grains short cycles the slide -- think I would of started at 16 grains with the 329.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, the 629 is for plinking. Here's a 4" 500 mag.

DAVE-500 FLASH.jpg

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The 629MG is really a 624 .44spl with a longer cylinder to chamber the .44 magnum cartridge, and it has the round butt grip frame like the 624 with a 3" barrel. I have both versions of the 624 with 3" an 4" barrel's, one day I'll get the one with the 6.5" barrel. I love the .44 special cartridge, and having shot the regular 629 I don't even want to think about what the recoil is like with the lighter weight an tapered barrel. I'll stick to my .44 special!!!

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 629MG is really a 624 .44spl with a longer cylinder to chamber the .44 magnum cartridge, and it has the round butt grip frame like the 624 with a 3" barrel. I have both versions of the 624 with 3" an 4" barrel's, one day I'll get the one with the 6.5" barrel. I love the .44 special cartridge, and having shot the regular 629 I don't even want to think about what the recoil is like with the lighter weight an tapered barrel. I'll stick to my .44 special!!!
From the OP:
With that introduction, the MG is a very good concept, IMHO, because even though it is chambered for the 44 Magnum, I regard it as a 44 Special that I can shoot Magnums in if I want to. But since I am not a masochist, that does not happen that often.

So it seems that you and I are on the same page in this case. Do great minds think alike, or what?

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice revolvers.

Have worked up some 300gr hunting loads with my 44mag Mountain Gun that cook pretty good.

My .45 Colt Mountain Gun is a handful with heavy loads (using trimmed .454Casull brass, etc.). It's not magnaported, either.

Nor is it welcomed at indoor ranges.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
From the OP:

So it seems that you and I are on the same page in this case. Do great minds think alike, or what?

With the .44Spl you can handload it to almost .44Mag levels and still remain tame. You can handload up to around 1200FPS and she will do everything a .44Mag will do without beating you or the gun up. I don't reload the .44Spl, an shoot mostly cowboy loads. As for personal protection I have a very large stash of 200gr Winchester SilverTips to take care of most anything two an four legged. This load works great in my Rossi model 92 thats chambered for .44Mag.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With the .44Spl you can handload it to almost .44Mag levels and still remain tame. You can handload up to around 1200FPS and she will do everything a .44Mag will do without beating you or the gun up. I don't reload the .44Spl, an shoot mostly cowboy loads. As for personal protection I have a very large stash of 200gr Winchester SilverTips to take care of most anything two an four legged. This load works great in my Rossi model 92 thats chambered for .44Mag.
Just curious: have you tried the Federal 44 Special load? It is a 200gr SWHP. It reminds me of the old FBI (or Chicago PD) load in 38 Special.