S&W 44 Magnum Mountain Gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The .44 Mtn Gun was a favorite of mine for many years. When living in Colorado during the 70's it was a constant companion in a Roy Baker pancake in the woods and in town. I imagine a Simply Rugged would work just as well. I sold it long ago and really didn't miss it although .44 Special is still my favorite wheel gun cartridge. I now have a woods gun that I like just as well (or better.) It's a Ruger GP100 3" .44 Special carried in a Sparks PMK or a tanker chest strap holster. I went to buying Rugers when the H. hole came out in Smiths and haven't looked back. An older Smith is a work of art and I wouldn't hesitate to carry my old Mtn Gun again but I like the ruggedness of the Ruger. In the Summer I carry two CCI #4 snakeshot followed by three Gold Dot or Buffalo Bore Keith loads. In Oklahoma that's all I need. On a whim, I bought a Ruger Vaquero birdshead in .44 Magnum when they first came out. Now that I have reached the 3/4 of a century mark I will probably sell it with a couple of guns I have left. It's still unfired. Enjoy your Smith - it's a great handgun.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The .44 Mtn Gun was a favorite of mine for many years. When living in Colorado during the 70's it was a constant companion in a Roy Baker pancake in the woods and in town. I imagine a Simply Rugged would work just as well. I sold it long ago and really didn't miss it although .44 Special is still my favorite wheel gun cartridge. I now have a woods gun that I like just as well (or better.) It's a Ruger GP100 3" .44 Special carried in a Sparks PMK or a tanker chest strap holster. I went to buying Rugers when the H. hole came out in Smiths and haven't looked back. An older Smith is a work of art and I wouldn't hesitate to carry my old Mtn Gun again but I like the ruggedness of the Ruger. In the Summer I carry two CCI #4 snakeshot followed by three Gold Dot or Buffalo Bore Keith loads. In Oklahoma that's all I need. On a whim, I bought a Ruger Vaquero birdshead in .44 Magnum when they first came out. Now that I have reached the 3/4 of a century mark I will probably sell it with a couple of guns I have left. It's still unfired. Enjoy your Smith - it's a great handgun.
I didn't think that Mountain Gun was made in the 1970's.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It wasn't called that at the time but was an uncatalogued gun just like the latter one (except one ounce lighter.) Smith used to do lots of uncatalogued guns as prototypes. Mine was sent to Andy Cannon in Montana (as I recall) in 1982 for a custom workover. After that it never worded as good as it did out of the box. Great little gun, tho'. Later they came out in several calibers. I also had an uncatalogued 696 in .44 Special several years before that was introduced. Didn't like it as well, so didn't keep it long.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It wasn't called that at the time but was an uncatalogued gun just like the latter one (except one ounce lighter.) Smith used to do lots of uncatalogued guns as prototypes. Mine was sent to Andy Cannon in Montana (as I recall) in 1982 for a custom workover. After that it never worded as good as it did out of the box. Great little gun, tho'. Later they came out in several calibers. I also had an uncatalogued 696 in .44 Special several years before that was introduced. Didn't like it as well, so didn't keep it long.
I see.

Latest posts

Top Bottom