S&W 442 or 642-2? Which do you prefer and why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking at both and want everyone’s opInion. The 442 is no lock and the 642-2 is lock model.

The lock is not a big deal to me. So other than that feature, what do you all think?

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A no-lock gun (regardless of which model it is) will probably win the popularity contest by a mile.
People hate the so called "Hillary Hole" in the frame for the lock.

I don't know about the frame of the 442 but the aluminum alloy frame of the 642 has some kind of dull gray finish on it.
If a 642 is actually carried the finish will start to go missing in spots leaving the alloy frame exposed.
Some consider it unsightly.
Folks that carried the 442 a lot told me the cylinder on that model definitely needs to be wiped down if carried in a holster in the pocket or next to the body.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A no-lock gun (regardless of which model it is) will probably win the popularity contest by a mile.
People hate the so called "Hillary Hole" in the frame for the lock.

I don't know about the frame of the 442 but the aluminum alloy frame of the 642 has some kind of dull gray finish on it.
If a 642 is actually carried the finish will start to go missing in spots leaving the alloy frame exposed.
Some consider it unsightly.
Folks that carried the 442 a lot told me the cylinder on that model definitely needs to be wiped down if carried in a holster in the pocket or next to the body.
Good to know. Either would be a pocket holster only carry gun. The 642 is lightly used and the 442 is new. I can get the 642 for $50 less than the 442.
I am typically not a fan of the gray finish, but the wood grips look nice on it. Plus it comes with a couple boxes of ammo.
Thank you for your input.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know if still available but Brownell's used to carry some homely looking boot grips for round butt J and K frames from a company called Precision Gun Specialties.
Just ugly black plastic but they were a lot cheaper than buying the big brand name "boot grips."
No help with recoil just hard plastic.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always liked the 442 more. It is a small thing, but I don't love the difference in the silver look between the 642's frame and the cylinder. After reading quite a bit about how the lock works there is no way I'd want one on a carry gun. The lock is not well designed imho. I was shooting my 442 just this morning and I have to say that the J-frame is a great piece. I find the best technique to shoot them accurately is to stage the trigger, aim precisely, then follow through to fire. As much as I love the snub, the Kahr PM9 series with some bike tire wrapped around the grip is a more capable weapon for pocket duty. 2 more rounds, 9mm, slightly easier trigger, better sights. Good luck!

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve got a 442 (no lock) and a 637 (no lock), and I prefer the 637 because of the hammer. I agree that the finish on the 637/642/638 looks like crap after a few years of being carried, but it is what it is and doesn’t really effect anything other than cosmetics. :anyone:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you all. I am concerned about the finish. I am also going to do some more research on the lock. Thanks again
The locks are easily removable, and you can get a “filler”.
Lock Delete
BD4D0A87-91B5-4C01-AEF4-AA61BF4DE11C.jpeg

Here what the finish looks like after years of carrying.
B63DB625-1A49-409B-860B-3D26EE5865C6.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom