S&W 59

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a shame.

Just to be safe, field strip it and check the internals for pitting.
Pull the grips and look around and all the little moving bits. around and inside the mag well.

If you see corrosion on the internals, particularly in the trigger group/ sear areas, a full strip, inspection, and lube of all the critical fire control surfaces is in order.

After 25 years of storage, the strip and lube is probably a good idea even if you don't see corrosion.
Corrosion and dried oils can both cause stuff to bind and misbehave.

Also verify the firing pin moves freely/ retracts. If frozen forward by corrosion, grime, dried oil, etc. it could slam fire.

Test firing - 1-2-3 rule with semiautos.

One round in the clip - does it go bang when asked to and not before.
Then 2 in the clip to be sure it cycles and does not double tap/ full auto.
Then 3 in the clip to be sure it cycles correctly with additional spring tension in the mag.

Then a full clip.

If you have a full clip go full auto in a light gun, your lucky if the only damage you do is to your jockey shorts.

Until proven otherwise, behave as though its going to slam fire/ miss fire/ or otherwise misbehave and account for that with your choice of range and muzzle direction.

osu007

AKA: Fat Jack, Believer in God
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would check before I did anything. I believe that is an alloy frame. Might not take too kindly to welding and grinding. There’s always the old shoot it from a vise give it a whirl to see if it holds to firing. Just make sure you’re standing around a corner.

NomDeBoom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup. Them's the Pits, awright!
It can stem from storing a regular steel gun in a wet pit, or, in this case a soggy basement.
Poor thing. I have it's stainless bro, the 5906. I call it a 'brick'. It's very heavy by ('modern' standards, anyway)
even for an all steel pistol. The great news is that these guns are 'tanks', & about as bombproof & reliable as any semi pistol ever made. Mine will feed a mag full of empty casings w/out jamming if I rack 'em in as fast as I can work the slide. It stands a better than most chance of being a survivor of abuse, Id say.
Ahall has some great advice for it's rehab. Just go slow, piece by part, & ensure that all components, springs, pins etc. are in good shape & well cleaned & oiled. Be sure that the pits on the frame & slide aren't TOO deep
to cause structural failure (I doubt it). And don't skrimp if something needs replacing. You can rub out any loose rust with the edge of an older copper (pre '82) penny, & touch up w/ cold blue.
Who knows? You might just have a new favorite plinker/bedside gun there?
Good luck, & like the other posters said; be safe.

16colt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a shame.

Just to be safe, field strip it and check the internals for pitting.
Pull the grips and look around and all the little moving bits. around and inside the mag well.

If you see corrosion on the internals, particularly in the trigger group/ sear areas, a full strip, inspection, and lube of all the critical fire control surfaces is in order.

After 25 years of storage, the strip and lube is probably a good idea even if you don't see corrosion.
Corrosion and dried oils can both cause stuff to bind and misbehave.

Also verify the firing pin moves freely/ retracts. If frozen forward by corrosion, grime, dried oil, etc. it could slam fire.

Test firing - 1-2-3 rule with semiautos.

One round in the clip - does it go bang when asked to and not before.
Then 2 in the clip to be sure it cycles and does not double tap/ full auto.
Then 3 in the clip to be sure it cycles correctly with additional spring tension in the mag.

Then a full clip.

If you have a full clip go full auto in a light gun, your lucky if the only damage you do is to your jockey shorts.

Until proven otherwise, behave as though its going to slam fire/ miss fire/ or otherwise misbehave and account for that with your choice of range and muzzle direction.
Well, I shot the pistol today. I took the above advise and all went well. The gun fired as it should. I think it’ll be fine. I’ll probably still sell it though if I can find a buyer. Just not sure I have much use for it.
Thanks again for all the advise and feedback.

NomDeBoom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I shot the pistol today. I took the above advise and all went well. The gun fired as it should. I think it’ll be fine. I’ll probably still sell it though if I can find a buyer. Just not sure I have much use for it.
Thanks again for all the advise and feedback.
I'm glad (not surprised) that it works. 3rd Gen. Smiffs are like a one hand AK (as far as toughness & reliability).
Stout as all get out, them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom