S&W J-Frame Airweight Models Life Expectancy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
My (gasp) Taurus 85 ultra light gets shot 50 or so rounds every time I go to the range.... Monthly at minimum. Keep expecting it to explode according to the webs, but it just keeps on going pew.....
Other than I just had to run the nasty little thing through the ultrasonic cleaner cause it gets carried.... a lot.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Rick Terhune

Hawkeye68
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I can only say I shot my 642 about four times in IDPA Back Up Gun Matches. About 50 rounds each and most of that was +p 158’s cause that was what I had. Probably shot another 100 normal loads over the time I had it. Frame cracked right by the barrel. Smith replaced no questions asked. I think this was the exception though.

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I seem to see a post in the Smith & Wesson forum every so often of the airweights cracking the frames around the barrel. Oddly, it's usually the 642s over the 442, 37, 637 and the other airweight J frames. I'm not saying the others can't have issues too, just that it seems more prevalent in the 642s. Maybe because they sell more 642s than all the others? I dunno. I do know that the load you shoot plays a huge part in the life expectancy of the gun. Standard pressure LRN should let you enjoy your little J frame for the rest of your life. +P loads are like smoking meth. Your body might take it for a while, but eventually....

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a 642 for my wife about a year or so ago. She didn’t like it so now it’s mine. I carry it fairly often in the summer months because of the weight. I’ve probably put around 500 rounds through it with absolutely no signs of wear that would cause concern.

Latest posts

Top Bottom