S&W J-Frame Airweight Models Life Expectancy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
sAs long as you aren't trying to break it with ridiculously hot loads you aren't gonna wear it out. In that case your hand will give out before the gun.
This is so. And not just with S&W. Colt put a notice out sometime in the 1970s or the 1980s to the effect that their steel D-frames, (Detective Special, Police Positive Special, etc.) were good for 'unlimited' use with +P ammo. The guns are sufficiently strong and as you said, your hand will give out before the gun will.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Minor question here. Is the 640 considered a J frame? I got a swinging deal on some Blackhawk J frame holsters here while back. My mom’s old Ladysmith I had bought her fits like a glove as does my wife’s little Scadium piece. The 640 ain’t even close and I always called it a J frame. :anyone:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Minor question here. Is the 640 considered a J frame? I got a swinging deal on some Blackhawk J frame holsters here while back. My mom’s old Ladysmith I had bought her fits like a glove as does my wife’s little Scadium piece. The 640 ain’t even close and I always called it a J frame. :anyone:

Yes, the 640 is an all stainless steel J frame, just not an Airweight. It should fit a typical J frame holster, unless its the longer barrel. 357 magnum. If so, it would stick out the bottom, unless it's a closed muzzle holster. Then, it may not fit.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, the 640 is an all stainless steel J frame, just not an Airweight. It should fit a typical J frame holster, unless its the longer barrel. 357 magnum. If so, it would stick out the bottom, unless it's a closed muzzle holster. Then, it may not fit.
Yep, it’s the tree fitty seben. Length wise it’s fine but the diameter of the cylinder is too big. I know for the gospel truth somebody is really going to have to rub me the wrong before I speed dump a load of Corbons out of it again. It was like a cut scene from Liar Liar where I was kicking my own arse.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, it’s the tree fitty seben. Length wise it’s fine but the diameter of the cylinder is too big. I know for the gospel truth somebody is really going to have to rub me the wrong before I speed dump a load of Corbons out of it again. It was like a cut scene from Liar Liar where I was kicking my own arse.

Are you sure its a 640? The diameter of the cylinder should be the same as any other J frame out there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom