S&W M&P 2.0 compact questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleeperx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I'm going to get one of these dudes, but can't decide on 3.6" or 4". Also what are y'all's
views on thumb safety vs. no thumb safety? Any and all opinions welcome.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It kind of depends on what your used to. Some folks need a thumb safety to feel its a safe gun on their person and they are justified in thinking so.
My opinion is that gun safety is between your ears and I'll take a no thumb safety every day for a SD pistol. I don't need another issue to get in my way if I have to pull and shoot in a SHTF situation.
Others may have differing opinions.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm going to get one of these dudes, but can't decide on 3.6" or 4". Also what are y'all's
Have you put one in your hand yet? If you havnt, do so before you buy one. The grip texture is extremely aggressive. Turned my hand to hamburger after 400 rds.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Opinions are like...... Well the way it ends up as everyone's stinks. As long as it goes bang and it works for you whats the difference. Get your hands on one and then look at how you are going to carry it.

Holster carry safety is personal preference. Pocket carry it may be a good idea or don't carry with one in the chamber.

Length, again depends on how you want to carry, shorter barrels tend to pocket carry easier than long barrels. It's not like a criminal is going to wait while you try and whip that thing out. In a holster it tends to be less of an issue especially OWB. Plus as self defense ranges a 1 inch barrel will get you on target but it won't be as accurate beyond that compared to a 6 inch barrel.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of carrying with an empty chamber. Condition one all the time.
I SMH everytime I see some TV Cop rush into a building and then rack the slide hiding behind some cardboard that won't stop a bullet. They just gave away their tactical position in the first place, and they could have got shot after going in the door. TV cops are silly.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It kind of depends on what your used to. Some folks need a thumb safety to feel its a safe gun on their person and they are justified in thinking so.
My opinion is that gun safety is between your ears and I'll take a no thumb safety every day for a SD pistol. I don't need another issue to get in my way if I have to pull and shoot in a SHTF situation.
Others may have differing opinions.
I agree wholeheartedly and might I add because it bears repeating, your primary safety is your index finger.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

3.6” vs 4”: the extra barrel length will be negligible in the ability to conceal it. But it the increased sight radius will help.

Safety: It is offered without it, so it is not needed to ensure the safe use of the firearm.

I have a couple of these in 4”. Great guns. S&W hit a home run with it.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you put one in your hand yet? If you havnt, do so before you buy one. The grip texture is extremely aggressive. Turned my hand to hamburger after 400 rds.

It’s an easy fix with some very fine sandpaper on the sharpest edges. I didn’t find it to be an issue while shooting the gun. But it abrades the skin during carry and snags the outer garment. I left the front and back strap as delivered and worked mainly on the sides of the grip insert.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s an easy fix with some very fine sandpaper on the sharpest edges. I didn’t find it to be an issue while shooting the gun. But it abrades the skin during carry and snags the outer garment. I left the front and back strap as delivered and worked mainly on the sides of the grip insert.
I considered that but If I ever decided to sell it down the road, that narrows down possible buyers. Some people actually love the cheese grater grip. Besides that, you know how some people are, when you got the sand paper on the smooth part. "theres a scuff right here" and offer $100 less

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally I like the aggressive textures but I also loved 25LPI on 1911s. The 3.6 points really nice for me and I'm probably going to pick that one up. Kind of hard to go wrong with either IMO. Thumb Safety is subjective. Not for me but I get why people want them.