S&W M&P .22 Compact

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The manual safety on the M&P 22 Compact is a good one: large, well positioned, and positive both going on and off. 1911-like. If you're going to have a manual safety on a handgun this is how it ought to be. I have carried it occasionally in a holster and don't worry about it any more than I would with a condition 1 1911.

I have a bit of experience with the Ruger SR22 -- definitely a well made gun. However, I really disliked the Ruger's creepy DA trigger, found it impaired accuracy on the first shot, even though I'm someone who likes DA triggers and tends to shoot them well. If Ruger would clean up the DA trigger I would regard it as a toss-up with the M&P 22 Compact.

Although I also wish the safety/decocker lever on the SR22 were just a decocker, like a classic SIG or the CZ P-01. The safety goes the wrong way -- down is safe, opposite of a 1911. That's kind of a mess. You don't need a manual safety on a pistol with a DA first shot.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I advertised my Compact in the classifieds twice at a pretty decent price and nobody bit. Thank goodness. I've made a lot of hair-brained sales. That would have been one.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I advertised my Compact in the classifieds twice at a pretty decent price and nobody bit. Thank goodness. I've made a lot of hair-brained sales. That would have been one.

Yes, selling that pistol would have been an error in judgment alright. Not that I haven't parted with a few I wish I hadn't...if I didn't already have two of these, I'd Have gleefully snatched yours up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a "feeling" Santa might bring me one of these little toys. In anticipation I have been increasing the volume of boolits in my range bag. I know each individual gun is different on the ammo it prefers...but the consensus seems to be hv stuff? I have a bunch of fed automatch that my rifle likes. Academy has amer eagle 38 grain hv and aguila 40gr hv in 50 Rd boxes. Picked up several of those. The only hv bulk they had was remington golden bullets.

So my question....between the above listed....which am I most likely to have success with in the m&p compact? Or am I over thinking it?

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, you likely are! Just try what you got and you'll probably find it doesn't make a lot of difference. At least, that's been my experience.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree. I have NEVER had a problem with any ammo I have ran through mine, except for the other day at the range, a guy was having trouble with some old Federal Automatch in his Buckmark, so I tried a couple mags of his ammo through my .22 Compact (fail) and it was agreed on by several of us that tried to shoot it that it was bad ammo. That particular box must have been a weak batch or gotten wet maybe, but that ammo wouldn't run in any of several different guns either. I had a box of the same brand and both his gun and my .22 Compact gobbled it up. Shoot what ya got; I bet you'll be pleased. About the only thing I suspect it won't run is that stuff that has "primer only" on the box. If you DO get one of these little pistols, I'd recommend a barrel busing from EWKarms.com. It's only like $8.95, but it does tighten your fixed barrel down a little better, thus increasing accuracy. Easiest .22 pistol in the world to break down and clean too. I hope you get one, they are great little pistols. Pics too!

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to shoot yours sometime.

I take it every range trip. I'm pretty much always open to go to Big Boys. Maybe as soon as the holidays are over and all the relatives are gone we can meet up there. Like next Saturday or Sunday works for me.

I keep a spare one in a handy spot in the house "just in case". You never know when a face full of Mini Mags is just what may be called for at any given moment... the pistol is obviously not the best choice for self defense, but I am confident all but the baddest of the bad will stop what they're doing with 440 gr of .22 lead in their face and forehead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom