S&W model 18

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
So, I’m reviving this thread. I killed another one and the same general area that did not have any rattles. I’m wondering if it’s a genetic thing or an evolutionary thing?
75693CEE-F099-49F5-B208-98B66CEF63EF.jpeg

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had to zoom in on the pic from the OP because I couldn’t see any rattles. Obviously, I still couldn’t see them. That’s crazy that you’ve killed two with no rattles. I hope it’s not evolutionary because I like to at least hear it if I’m close to one. I hate that sound, but I hate the idea worse of not being able to hear them.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should also note that about ten minutes before, I was standing next to my truck getting ready to walk in and check a camera. The rural mail girl rolled up and stopped. She said the rattlesnakes were really bad this year and to be extra cautious. In 20 years I e only killed 3 and 1 copperhead.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang beautiful snakes. Wish you would’ve just let them be. I get it that no one wants to be bit, but ain’t like a snake is looking at you for dinner.
Totally get it and agree. Probably wouldn’t kill a grown cow but a calf might die. If they had rattles, even the cattle could avoid them.