S&W Model 30 Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet that it's on a J Frame. I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat at that price. I bet you could clean it up pretty nice with some 0000 steel wool and oil, then wax. I know some say to NEVER use steel wool, but I've had pretty good results with it making rough old smiths look like pretty slick old smiths with patina. I appreciate the wear they obtain over time....but that's just me.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet that it's on a J Frame. I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat at that price. I bet you could clean it up pretty nice with some 0000 steel wool and oil, then wax. I know some say to NEVER use steel wool, but I've had pretty good results with it making rough old smiths look like pretty slick old smiths with patina. I appreciate the wear they obtain over time....but that's just me.
I keep bags of 0000 around. I'll use it for certain cleaning where appropriate, but also for case cleaning. If I want a supppppper sparkly case, I hit it with the 0000 when it's on the lathe when I'm doing my case prep. Lots of good uses for that.

So it looks like this place also has a PT111 G2 in "poor" condition for 139. That's tempting me too as a beater gun. I think I'm pretty sold on this one now.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So good experience reaching out to the site .... they came through with more pics. But it looks like this thing was ridden hard and put to bed wet. It'd definitely be either a truck box gun or a candidate to send off for professional refinishing help. Some of that looks awfully "pitty" to me which also looks awfully "permanent".

01.jpg
02.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm right on the line still. Caliber I don't load for. Needs help. I've got a sale of something tomorrow and I suppose after that I have to make a call.

Latest posts

Top Bottom