S&W Model 41

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got interested in these a while back because of a trade deal. While that didn't go through I later found one for sale....looks to be in good shape, but is sold without the mag for 1k. Considering these can fetch a few Benjamins more than that new it makes it really tempting. Anyone got any feedback on this idea? I mean it sounds like an awful lot for a 22 but these are supposed to be the tops when it comes to 22. Even Hickok45 couldn't seem to find anything to not like.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got interested in these a while back because of a trade deal. While that didn't go through I later found one for sale....looks to be in good shape, but is sold without the mag for 1k. Considering these can fetch a few Benjamins more than that new it makes it really tempting. Anyone got any feedback on this idea? I mean it sounds like an awful lot for a 22 but these are supposed to be the tops when it comes to 22. Even Hickok45 couldn't seem to find anything to not like.
They are awesome guns. Mine is very accurate, has maybe the best trigger of any gun I've ever owned (at least in the top 3), and almost no recoil. Everyone who shoots it absolutely loves it.

A quick google search turned up available mags for $30-$40 that appear to be in stock. I see the guns occasionally and I've never seen one for under $1000, so if it's in good shape I think that's probably not in the deal-of-a-lifetime range, but still a good deal.

I read once that they were originally intended for the competition crowd to compete with the custom guns, assuming they would be modified slightly. I don't have anything more fun to shoot. I've had mine for about 30 years, so they're very durable.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those are definitely sweet shooters. Always wanted one. Have you found a source for mags? If so and you have the coin to spare then go for it.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those are definitely sweet shooters. Always wanted one. Have you found a source for mags? If so and you have the coin to spare then go for it.
Like @Aries said --- there are definitely mags out there, and not too terribly priced. Much better than some of the other dumb pieces in my collection that mags can get into the 100's for.

I guess part of my debate is if I'd rather have something like that, or possibly more practically spend some of those funds on more reloading supplies considering I think November will bring us back to another storm of nuttiness.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like @Aries said --- there are definitely mags out there, and not too terribly priced. Much better than some of the other dumb pieces in my collection that mags can get into the 100's for.

I guess part of my debate is if I'd rather have something like that, or possibly more practically spend some of those funds on more reloading supplies considering I think November will bring us back to another storm of nuttiness.
Only you can answer that, but I'll tell you, if you offered me $1000 cash for mine, all you'd get is "Yeah, no... I'll probably still have this one when I die." I'm not sure how much you'd have to offer to get me interested, but it would be significantly north of a thousand.

Personally, I think prices on reloading supplies are at least as likely to go down after November as up... I expect the Republicans to take over at least one house, maybe both. But I'm not sure prices will come down all THAT much while Biden is in office, even if so.

So your decision to put it into supplies might pay off, or not. But I promise you'll love the 41 if it's in good shape. Is there any chance you can shoot it first, as that would be ideal, but if not I'll meet you someplace and you can shoot mine.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one I've been thinking of letting go. I'll send you a PM.

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those mags work in other models. If you search for those model, sometimes you can find a deal on mags listed by individuals on Gunbroker. Seems if it has Model 41 in the title, the price goes up by 50%. There were some early mags that actually held 12 rounds. Those bring a premium.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but believe factory mags are still being made.

A mag is probably something S&W will sell you factory direct!

Looks like the 41 is still in current production

Model 41 | Smith & Wesson
That's probably the only reason they haven't gone sky high in price like some of my other exotics. Like, I'd love to grab some more mags for my 375H&H rifles, but phew boy those are all ridiculous.

Latest posts

Top Bottom