S&W Model 627

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the information Bubber, but I think the main issue is that the extractor star is too thin to be strong enough were the moonclips to be used. You would simply have to shave off too much metal.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One thing that has held me back from carrying my 8-shot S&W Model 627 revolver has been the lack of practical speedloaders for it.

I tried the max-fire side pull speedloaders, but they were, to put it extremely kindly, awkward as hell to use, because they were hard to line up properly with the charge-holes in the revolver. Plus, their ring that they have sticking out from the side makes them even bulkier than most other types of speedloaders. And bulk is a common and very valid complaint with most speedl;oaders.

For a time, I used the Bianchi Speed strips carrying them in a cell phone holder on my belt but the holder did not hold up too well.

Then the TUFF products Quick Strips were tried along with their specially designed carrying case, and these along with the case proved at least workable, but while they have their advantages, notably, that the strips themselves are flat and seem to be reasonabley secure, the one main disadvantage of both the Bianchi, and the TUFF products strips is that you have to watch what you are doing, which in a fight, means that you have to take your eyes away from your adversary while you reload. Doing this would not be a good thing.

Up until now, the only practical speedloaders for the 8-round 627 has been the extremely hard-to-get SL Variant speedloaders made in Germany. I think that Dillon's Precision sold them for a while, but this soon ceased.

I even emailed S&W about modifying my revolver to accept moonclips but they said that they won't do it, due I think, to the fact that the extractor star on my particular version of the 627 is too thin to allow any more metal to safely be removed from it.

Enter the 5-Star Speedloaders. They are machined from solid aluminum, and work in principle, just like the HKS loaders that I am accustomed to using. The cartridges are put in the loader, rim-end first, and a knob rotates allowing the retaining star to engage the cartidge rims, keeping the rounds in place until they are released. The star is secured in place by a ball-detent system almost exactly like the HKS and while the knob seems to be very easy to turn, it is in the opposite direction of that for the HKS. It also seems to be fairly secure, in spite of the ease of turning.

I wanted to test the speed of loading with my 5-Star and loaded my 627 and one of the two new speedloaders up. Starting the time at the opening of the cylinder, I ejected the cartridges, and reloaded, using the 5-star loader. From the opening of the cylinder to the closing it took about seven seconds. Practice should cut the time somewhat.

5-Star recommends that the unit be lightly oiled prior to use, and that is what I did.

I don't see any reason that these will not perform satisfactorily, given reasonable care. In short, I am very happy with them.

Now, the users of the 627 8-shot revolvers have a practical speedloader that they can use.

At nearly $25 apeice, these loaders are not cheap, but they do appear to be well-made, and they have just eliminated the primary reason that I didn't often carry my 627. I think that I will carry it a lot more now.

As an aside, the manufacturer says that they won't work in the 8-shot Taurus.

Here is the manufacturers home page once more.

http://www.5starfirearms.com/index.html

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bringing this old thread back for a picture of a 627 that looks like mine, except for the Pachmayr Compac grips that I installed.

31467-DEFAULT-l.jpg

It's a gorgeous revolver.

Latest posts

Top Bottom