S&W Model 627

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
C&P of a post I did on another website: 12/24/08

Okie-doky, I took the 627 out to day and put 200 rounds of 38 Specal through it. Fifty mid-range wadcutters, fifty of the standard velocity 38 158 gr SWC, and the rest were WWB from WallyWorld.
The gun shot marvellously, which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone; after all it is a Smith & Wesson. As I mentioned before, I took the Hogues off and put a set of Pachmayr Compacs on, and these were good except for one thing: the cartridge closest to the frame seemd to cartch on the grips and not eject 100% with out rotating the cylinder slightly to clear it and then it dropped free. Doing some work with a Dremel might be in order here. Recoil was quite mild, and the guns seems to be very accurate in my hands. I shot all of the rounds double action, at ranges of from three to seven uyards.
The trigger pull is good and the action is smooth. I expect it to break in even better,
No bench testing was done, but the gun like I said before, seems to be very accurate in my hands, even though at the close ranges that I shot it at, it seemed to shoot a trifle low.
Would I recommend it for CCW? Frankly, no. And the reason has nothing to really do with the size. It is the lack of speedloaders that are available. And yes, I do know of the Maxfires. Besides there are many better carrry guns out there. Would it serve in this capaciity? Probably, and it might even do well. It would, I imagine, do quite well as a hunting sidearm
In short, it's a great gun, but it is not for everybody.

An addition, if I might. As I said in the above post, the Pachmayr Compacs tended to catch the cartridge closest to the frame and it did not eject cleanly, so I replaced them with the wood S&W finger-groove grips, but they did not permit the full use of the Maxfire speedloaders which as I understand it are the only speedloaders made for this particular model. So they were replaced with the Ahrends grips, and I am just starting to get the hang of using the Maxfires. I do wish that HKS or someone else would make something for this model as the maxfires are very awkward, especially at first.
It is an eight-shot revolver.

Does anyone know of any other speed loaders that are made for it? I am even thinking of sending it to the S&W perfomance center to have it machined for the full-moon clips.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BTW....

Here's your speedloader.....

awww.fototime.com_7263372E7394568_standard.jpg

:D

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Moonclips? :anyone:

I understand that the S&W performance center will machine some cylinders to accept moonclips, but when I asked them they said not for this revolver. Just a guess, but I think that the issue may be that the extractor star is too thin for this and it would make it too weak.
The Ahrends grips seem to help with the Maxfire and my manipulation of it seems to be improving quite a bit.

I'll continue to carry my 681, I think. I'm pretty good with that.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand that the S&W performance center will machine some cylinders to accept moonclips, but when I asked them they said not for this revolver. Just a guess, but I think that the issue may be that the extractor star is too thin for this and it would make it too weak.
The Ahrends grips seem to help with the Maxfire and my manipulation of it seems to be improving quite a bit.

I'll continue to carry my 681, I think. I'm pretty good with that.

Really!?
Interesting because they do so for other 8 shot models...

TKcustoms will probably do it.

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of the 627's can be used with or without moon clips as they come from the factory. I had a 627 V comp with moon clips. In my opinion, the gun is not a good match for moon clips. Eight long rounds are hard to line up and re-load with any speed.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of the 627's can be used with or without moon clips as they come from the factory. I had a 627 V comp with moon clips. In my opinion, the gun is not a good match for moon clips. Eight long rounds are hard to line up and re-load with any speed.

Yeah you're probably right, and I am getting better with using the Maxfires, so it is probably a moot point.
And like I said before, I have my 681 that I carry and if I have to there are other S&W revolvers (Models 686, 65, and 625) that I have trained and qualified with that I can carry.
Also there is my Glock 19 that I used to get my SDA license with. So, I'm hardly deprived. :wink2:

Bubber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
gerhard1, :greetings I have a 627 moutain gun, which is probably the same model as you have. I cut it on a cheap mini lathe and got it to take moonclips. But it does not look clean to me. A good machinist with a good lathe should be able to do a clean job. As far as speedloaders there is one company in Germany that made the Variant for the 8 shot. They are expensive and hard to come by. And they are not as fast as the Safariland made for the K and L frames. I had shot a custom 8 shot with moonclips for a few years. Yes the long loose fitting brass is a bit to contend with. Two solutions to the dilema: A guy named Dave Hearth of Hearthco makes brass specific moonclips that will hold the rounds stiff and easier to reload. And depending on the competition you choose to compete in there is the 38 short colt or 38 long colt brass that can be used in two of the games we play here. USPSA and ICORE. I, being so old, simply used speed stix. An Item made to keep the rounds tight in the moonclips until it is loaded in the cylinder. Sorry for the long post. I shoot, and I use the term loosely, at OKC and USSA most of the time. Hope to see you and we can discuss the stuff if you wish. later rdd

Latest posts

Top Bottom