S&W model 65

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
That might be why I like the revolver platform, you have options.
Some of mine I prefer to shoot single action for target work and others only get double action.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, my wheelguns are carried. I prefer them to any other action type.

And I know you shoot them well. So please, what is your take on this DA/SA thing? Cock the hammer or no? Or is it just there for looks?
My preference is DA, and that is how I shoot. Cocking the hammer is not as fast as a straight through squeeze of the trigger, so that is how I practice and how I intend to shoot if I am engaged in a 'social' situation.

Plus, there is another reason and that is safety. Shooting DA reduces the chance of an unintended discharge.

How many here remember the Overtown riots in 1980? Two Metro-Dade officers were questioning a guy about a gun he was carrying and he went for it and they shot him in self-defense. One of them, who was still in a daze said something to the effect that 'I didn't mean it' and the DA used this statement to charge the cop with manslaughter. The DA's reasoning was that the guy must have cocked the hammer on the S&W Model 64 that Dade issued and it discharged by accident. SD experts testified, explaining that the officers had indeed fired deliberately in self-defense, and the statement was made while the officer was in a state of shock and was a form of denial.

The officer's acquittal resulted in the Overtiown riots, and also in Metro-Dade putting DA triggers in all of the revolvers their officers were issued.

I had a gunsmith remove the single-action from the trigger in my Model 65 to make something like this less likely. But I left the hammer spur on for looks. Bobbed hammers don't look as good, IMHO.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
+1 on bobbed hammers looking wrong. A guy at work inherited a beautiful little 36-1. Someone had cut the spur in half. I told him I would HAVE to fix that.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys crack me up. Bobbed and carmonized hammers look dead sexy if they're done well.

Darren, if bobbing a carry gun bothers you, this one will probably keep you up at night...here's my brother's Model 25 with a bobbed forged stainless hammer and .265 forged stainless trigger (original case hardened target trigger and hammer weren't touched).

s3bbuhjh.jpg

K3t1oaJh.jpg

Here's a PC teardrop hammer on my 627 that he bobbed and skeletonized (untouched PC hammer shown on right, 929 has a DAO Apex installed).

VRzqY7ch.jpg

HPU7DFGl.jpg

cTYiXK7l.jpg

and here's a full blown Carmoney cut...

HNqFzLXl.jpg

Uui7zFRl.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom