S&W Model 986

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
178055_01_lg_0_0.jpg

I ordered a S&W Model 986 from my LGS and yesterday, it just arrived and the initial impression was mixed. First, the one negative is that the action is surprisingly rough. It is a new gun and it has to be broken in, but even with that, I was expecting a smoother out of the box action.

It was furnished with two 7-round moon-clips and upon loading them, I found them easy to insert into the cylinder. I expect my BMT Equipped loading tool to arrive today and when it does, I'll take the 986 out to my range (weather permitting) along with the rest of the WWB 100-round box I got at WallyWorld some time back.

The 986 is a 7-shot L-frame with a 5"-barrel in 9x19 mm (9 mm Luger) and is DA/SA. It has a titanium cylinder, and comes with a Hogue Monogrip, but one thing that I am thinking of is replacing the Monogrip with a Bantam.

I expect that the recoil will be very manageable and it will wear itself in soon and be as smooth as are my other L-frames.

I'm looking forward to shooting it, and I expect that Midway will ship the moon-clips I recently ordered today

Later:

As I type this, my 986 is soaking in Hoppe's and is a bit smoother than it was before this morning. I put a few more than 70 rounds downrange this morning before the exasperation of loading the moon clips every time got to me. The revolver was furnished with two 7-round moon clips and I have 32 more on the way from Midway but they won't be here until Monday at the earliest, so I am stuck with just the two. When they get here, I think I'll enjoy shooting it a lot more, as the clips can be loaded while I watch TV.. The shooting part was fine, just that loading the clips was a pain in the butt.

The revolver is a seven-shot L-frame in 9 mm Luger (or Parabellum, or whatever your fancy happens to be) with a titanium cylinder. The barrel length is 5" and like in the picture above, it is a slab-sided affair with the extractor rod housing coming to a taper. Personally, I wold have preferred it being more like the traditional L-frame set-up with the barrel rounded and the under-lug coming to the muzzle, but that's just my opinion. I suspect that the man purpose here, was shaving weight.

My cousin's grandson was there tending to his livestock and I had him shoot it as well. He's more into rifles, but I think he liked shooting it.

At first, there were a few misfires, but I think that will be taken care of with the break-in process. Like I say, the action was very rough at first, but I think it is starting to smooth out now that a few actual rounds have been shot through it.

Close-range accuracy was very adequate and the recoil was very easy to handle.

Is this a good carry gun? For someone such as me, who does his best with revolvers, I'd say 'yes'. For someone who likes the 1911, or for a XD-person, or a dedicated Glock person, I'd tell them to stick with what they have and are best with.

However, I am really looking forward to getting those moon clips from Midway.

One thing I am thinking of is changing the grips to Hogue bantams, but I haven't quite made up my mind on that.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Speed Beez moonclips have worked well in my 929 and rounds can be hand-clipped without the use of a tool. The 7 and 8 shot clips are fairly cheap on Amazon if you want to try them out as well. They aren't competition grade clips like the TK's, but you definitely won't run into issues with rounds falling out.

I highly recommend a set of Hogue hardwood grips as well, but I'm partial to the full size conversion grip (without fingergrooves) and big butts (same grip with oversized grip cap).

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speed Beez moonclips have worked well in my 929 and rounds can be hand-clipped without the use of a tool. The 7 and 8 shot clips are fairly cheap on Amazon if you want to try them out as well. They aren't competition grade clips like the TK's, but you definitely won't run into issues with rounds falling out.

I highly recommend a set of Hogue hardwood grips as well, but I'm partial to the full size conversion grip (without fingergrooves) and big butts (same grip with oversized grip cap).
Perhaps a clarification is in order. I have the BMT Equipped moon clip loading tool, and while that made loading a LOT easier, I still prefer to do a bunch of them up at once and watch TV or whatever while I am doing it. Then I can spend my time at my range shooting instead of loading moon clips. I have tried the Speed Beez speedloaders and found them fast, but insecure.

But that is their speedloader and not moon clips. I'll look into them. Thanks for the tip.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Perhaps a clarification is in order. I have the BMT Equipped moon clip loading tool, and while that made loading a LOT easier, I still prefer to do a bunch of them up at once and watch TV or whatever while I am doing it. Then I can spend my time at my range shooting instead of loading moon clips. I have tried the Speed Beez speedloaders and found them fast, but insecure.

But that is their speedloader and not moon clips. I'll look into them. Thanks for the tip.

Yes, I caught that you also had a BMT tool...only mentioned the Speed Bees clips as I preferred them over the Ranch Products clips (8 rd version) from Midway and they are a fraction of the price of the TK's. Hopefully the clips that you purchased from Midway work great for you and the tip won't be needed. :)

Last edited:

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I caught that you also had a BMT tool...only mentioned the Speed Bees clips as I preferred them over the Thunder Ranch clips (8 rd version) from Midway and they are a fraction of the price of the TK's. Hopefully the clips that you purchased from Midway work great for you and the tip won't be needed. :)
Thanks. The ones I ordered from Midway are, if memory serves, the Ranch products. I have had good luck with the ones for my 610.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First 'modification' if I might use that term: I cut out the bottom of a Pachmayr Compac grip and put it on the 986. I left the Hogue attachment clip on in order to accommodate a lanyard screw. This something I have done with other RB S&W revolvers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom