S&W Model 986

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I might carry the 986 from time to time or using it for a house gun. What is a good defensive load? I'm thinking of Speer GDHP.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Ranch Products moon clips for the 986 arrived yesterday and were loaded up from my ample supply of WWB 9 mm from WallyWorld, so today I put 126 rounds through the revolver. There were a few hiccups as there were three FTF's due to light hammer strikes early in the session. One likely explanation could be that the revolver is still new and is not fully broken in as maybe a chip from a burr left over from the factory got in the way or something. Frankly, I am guessing here.

After today's session, I put the Hogue Monogrip back on as the Compac was allowing the gun to shift around too much in my during recoil.

As an experiment, I tried shooting with my weak hand and it went fairly well with a minor embarrassment. One of the rounds went right into the steel spring clip holding the target on the stand, and ruined the clip. I have seen this happen before but honest to God, that was the very first time I have done it. Really!!

The gun seems to be quite accurate for me and while it might not be the best gun for everyday carry, it will serve admirably as a house/bedside gun.

But, if these misfires continue, I'll have to send it back to Springfield.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to ask a very obvious question, but have you checked your strain screw to make sure that it is secure? If it has partially backed out, it may be causing the spotty ignition with the combination of the Winchester primers and the springiness of the moon clips.

I'd start with checking the strain screw and then follow up with a thorough cleaning of the internals (including removing, cleaning, and inspecting the firing pin and the firing pin recess in the frame). BTW Federal primers will also be easier to pop than Winchester if you are not opposed to Federal ammo. It will run approximately the same price as WWB if you're looking for inexpensive plinking ammo.

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No to ask a very obvious question, but have you checked your strain screw to make sure that it is secure? If it has partially backed out, it may be causing the spotty ignition with the combination of the Winchester primers and the springiness of the moon clips.

I'd start with checking the strain screw and then follow up with a thorough cleaning of the internals (including removing, cleaning, and inspecting the firing pin and the firing pin recess in the frame). BTW Federal primers will also be easier to pop than Winchester if you are not opposed to Federal ammo. It will run approximately the same price as WWB if you're looking for inexpensive plinking ammo.

I’d just go ahead and take that strain screw out and locktite it now because it’s pretty much a given that it’ll back out. Blue works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No to ask a very obvious question, but have you checked your strain screw to make sure that it is secure? If it has partially backed out, it may be causing the spotty ignition with the combination of the Winchester primers and the springiness of the moon clips.

I hadn't checked the strain screw before, but i just did and it's fine. The action seems to be getting a bit smoother as I shoot in it. I'll do the switch to Federal and try that, In fact, I'm about due for a trip to Enid where there is an Academy and I'm certain they'll have it. Thanks for that tip.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Put another 140 rounds through the 986 today, all of them WWB from WallyWorld, and experienced a bunch of light hammer strikes. Then I thought I'd have to into Enid to pick up some Federals from Academy, and I found 350 rounds of their Hardball at home, so tomorrow, I'll try that (they seem to have softer primers) and see how that works. If it does, I'll order a couple of cases of it on-line, and the problem will have been solved. If it doesn't, I'll contact S&W and see what they say.

Other suggestions?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Put another 140 rounds through the 986 today, all of them WWB from WallyWorld, and experienced a bunch of light hammer strikes. Then I thought I'd have to into Enid to pick up some Federals from Academy, and I found 350 rounds of their Hardball at home, so tomorrow, I'll try that (they seem to have softer primers) and see how that works. If it does, I'll order a couple of cases of it on-line, and the problem will have been solved. If it doesn't, I'll contact S&W and see what they say.

Other suggestions?

You can always bend the main spring to where is a bit straighter. Also could cut a shim out of a coke can and put between the strain screw and main spring. You are close now. Federal primers are the softest, then comes Winchester. I think Remington makes one for reloaders that is softer than standard but I've never used them.

Edit: I'm surprised you are getting light strikes. It's usual to be able to lighten up the main spring a fair bit before that happens as they over spring them by a lot. Might double check the moonclip thickness and end shake too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A 986 in stock form shouldn't have any issues with light primer strikes. If you have removed, cleaned, and inspected the firing pin and firing pin recess as previously suggested, I'd contact S&W and request a return label. Factory DA trigger pull weight on an unmodified 986 is probably in the 11-12 lb range. Winchester primers should still have reliable ignition even when lowered down into the 8 - 8.5 lb range. Absolutely unacceptable to be experiencing the issues that you are having if you haven't installed a reduced power spring kit.

Did you have as many light primer strikes with the stiffer TK clips?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also what mode were the light primer strikes? If in single action you definitely have a problem. Even at 6lbs DA pull which is about half of factory all my guns will fire in SA mode. DA has a very slightly shorter hammer throw and that's where it shows up first.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also what mode were the light primer strikes? If in single action you definitely have a problem. Even at 6lbs DA pull which is about half of factory all my guns will fire in SA mode. DA has a very slightly shorter hammer throw and that's where it shows up first.
All of the shots yesterday were DA with the single exception of one round where it attempted twice, in DA neither time igniting, so SA was tried and then it discharged. I also note that in the earlier sessions when I fired SA all of them fired.

This is not a problem with my 610, or my 625 or my model 22 (Model of 1950 4") or my other Model 22 (Model of 1950 Army 5 1/2") although in all honesty, the 1950 Army, gave my gunsmith a very big headache as it had the same problem that my 986 has. We finally solved it by a heavier mainspring and the use of Federal primers in all rounds.

Anyway, today is Federal day at my range, and I will attempt to shoot 21 7-round moon clips (147 rounds) and if there are no light strikes try it with another batch and so on. If that works, the problem will have been solved: all I need do in the future is use Federal stuff. I will still contact S&W however and let them know about it.

If there are any misfires, I'll contact Customer Service at SS&W and see what they say.

Latest posts

Top Bottom