S&W Model 986

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A 986 in stock form shouldn't have any issues with light primer strikes. If you have removed, cleaned, and inspected the firing pin and firing pin recess as previously suggested, I'd contact S&W and request a return label. Factory DA trigger pull weight on an unmodified 986 is probably in the 11-12 lb range. Winchester primers should still have reliable ignition even when lowered down into the 8 - 8.5 lb range. Absolutely unacceptable to be experiencing the issues that you are having if you haven't installed a reduced power spring kit.

Did you have as many light primer strikes with the stiffer TK clips?
I have just two TK clips (they were furnished with the gun) and on the first day my cousin and I both had a few misfires. If trying Federal ammunition doesn't work I'll contact S&W.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
IMHO, send it to Smith with the original clips, tell them your plight and they will make it right. I have seen issues like this with moon clips in revolvers many times (not a gunsmith but I play one on a forum).

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMHO, send it to Smith with the original clips, tell them your plight and they will make it right. I have seen issues like this with moon clips in revolvers many times (not a gunsmith but I play one on a forum).
I have contacted S&W about the problem and they say they will get back to me.

My experience with moon clips seems to have been hit or miss. My 610 has never had this issue nor has my 625, but one of my two Model 22's has. Anyway, it's not like I don't have plenty of other nice toys to play with, so I can do without this one for a couple of weeks while they get things set aright..

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
S&W CS tells me that I will get a shipping authorization in a few days, and that they expect to have it for about four weeks or so. I hope they fix it!!

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
S&W CS tells me that I will get a shipping authorization in a few days, and that they expect to have it for about four weeks or so. I hope they fix it!!
Just got the Shipping Authorization and label, so I'll go to Enid in the morning and send it on its' way. I also have a few other errands to run, including looking at a Colt 1851 replica from Uberti. I don't think I'll get one, but I will look for them.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got the Shipping Authorization and label, so I'll go to Enid in the morning and send it on its' way. I also have a few other errands to run, including looking at a Colt 1851 replica from Uberti. I don't think I'll get one, but I will look for them.
Unfortunately, when I was going over the stuff, I noticed an error on the Serial # where I transposed two letters. I told S&W about this, and knowing the federal penchant for making mountains out of molehills, I won't send it in until I get the clearance from S&W. That will likely be Monday at the earliest.

Probably not necessary, but I'd be foolish to take the chance.

Latest posts

Top Bottom