S&W Model 986

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately, when I was going over the stuff, I noticed an error on the Serial # where I transposed two letters. I told S&W about this, and knowing the federal penchant for making mountains out of molehills, I won't send it in until I get the clearance from S&W. That will likely be Monday at the earliest.

Probably not necessary, but I'd be foolish to take the chance.
Yesterday S&W contacted me, saying that they corrected the serial number so Monday, I go to the FedEx in Enid and send it to Massachusetts.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FedEX just delivered the 986 to my door. I'll test it and get back to you all. I believe I can see one repair already; They either repaired or replaced the cylinder as the grossly excessive gap between the rear of the cylinder and the frame has, as far as I can see, been markedly reduced.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fingers crossed that they were able to resolve your problem.

IMHO it's doubtful that the headspace was so excessively out of spec that you could visibly see a difference in the gap between the cylinder and recoil shield after repair. If it was that far out of spec, the hand couldn't have made proper contact with the ratchets. Any notes from the person that did the repairs? Typically S&W will include a sheet detailing what was done to correct the reported issue. Headspace may have been tweaked, but it would have been by a visually indistiguishable amount.

Last edited:

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FedEX just delivered the 986 to my door. I'll test it and get back to you all. I believe I can see one repair already; They either repaired or replaced the cylinder as the grossly excessive gap between the rear of the cylinder and the frame has, as far as I can see, been markedly reduced.
let us know if they gave you an extra magazine for your troubles

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just sent the following to S&W

Hello,

Yesterday, I put more than 200 rounds of Winchester 115 grain FMJ that I bought from WalMart through the 986. There were 7 or 8 misfires due to light hammer strikes. The gun clearly still has issues. When I brought these troubles to the attention of a couple of forums I am on, the gentlemen had some concrete suggestions.

May I ask what your repair people did to determine that the 986 was functional before sending it back to me? There has been a slight improvement, but the basic problem still remains. I plan to shoot it some more today to see if it misfires only in certain chambers.

This is very frustrating and I am a long-time customer of S&W getting countless hours of pleasure and also a degree of added safety from many of your products in the past. I might also add that the misfires started with the two TK Custom moon-clips that were furnished with the 986.

Right now, I plan to continue testing and if it continues to improve (which to be honest, it is slightly improved) that will be the end of it.

Please advise as this is, like I said earlier, very frustrating and for a $1000 + investment, I should get a reliable firearm.

Thank you,

What I intend to do is take a marker of some sort and when the misfires occur touch that chamber and repeat the process. If it misfires only in the one chamber, that would indicate to me that the cylinder is not true. I will report this back to the factory.

The paperwork they sent back says that they repaired the yoke and tightened the strain screw. That's all.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a word of caution if you end up marking each chamber as planned. The titanium cylinder is coated to prevent erosion. Any marking and ensuing removal may damage the coating.

If this is not a moon clip or strain screw related issue, it's a firing pin or headspace issue. If you're comfortable with doing the work yourself, you can try installing an Apex enhanced firing pin before sending the gun off for repair again (very easy to do). If you do so, it will limit you to only using Federal primers though.

Snake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To facilitate it breaking in quicker if you're bored in front of the TV you can dry fire the heck out of that gun. It won't hurt it and it will help smooth it out. You might try some different ammo...like federal and see if your misfires stop. Could be you got a hold of some ammo with a few hard primers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom