S&W MP9 M2.0 Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Spent a couple hours in the blistering heat today at the range shooting a few guns. My buddy John brought his new S&W MP9 M2.0 with thumb safety out for me to have my way with as he wanted to thoroughly experience my Springfield Trophy Match. After a few hours and several hundred rounds through the MP9 M2.0, here are a few of my personal findings.

1. Grip texture is aggressive, very aggressive. Feels much like sandpaper in your hand and will require a solid grip over the course of shooting less your palm feel like a raw piece of meat. I personally hold with a very tight grip as I am accustomed to shooting Bullseye, so although a bit of noticeable wear on the fatty piece between my thumb and index finger there was nothing that required medical care.

2. Grip felt great in my hand, I went with the large backstrap as I have meat hooks for hands and really liked the way the gun fit in my hand. Had a very nice high grip that I felt allowed the bore axis to be aligned nicely.

3. Shooting the 9mm was a joy as the gun had little muzzle rise and seemed easy to get back on target with. Recoil was marginal and felt more of a blow back into the hand and wrist than a flip of any kind. Again, with my Bullseye background this was very welcome and I feel aided in target acquisition and speedy follow up shots on target.

4. Trigger is a real treat for a Striker Fired gun. I expected something simuler to my beloved Glocks, but no. After a slight and I do mean slight take up, the trigger broke cleanly. Reset was decent and really surprised me for an out of the box Striker Fierd pistol. I do not want anyone to think it was the trigger of a polished 1911, but for the intended purpose of the full size pistol it was more than decent.

5. Thumb Safety is ambidextrous and works as advertised with neither too much resistance or too little. Personally, I do not care for this feature on this type of gun, but if you desire it on one it works and works pretty well. Flip it up and you are on safe, flip it down and you are hot. No issue with reach as my thumb and index finger were capable of flipping the safety down without issue.

I shot a little over 200 rounds of 115gr Winchester white box though the gun and had zero FTE/FTF or other malfunctions. Targets for the day were various cans filled with sand shot from 10 yards to 30 yards, cans are no longer recognizable. I found that the MP9 M2.0 was a good shooting gun, as accurate or better than any other out of the box Striker Fired pistol I have owned. John paid $499.00 for the gun and I feel the gun is certainly worth every cent he paid. The grip texture might be a turn some off for some for CCW, but with the right holster I feel it would certainly benefit the shooter with a sweaty or bloody grip. I will post pictures if and when John decides I am worthy to have them in my possession. Hope this sheds a bit of light on the MP9 M2.0 for those of you that have not shot one yet.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Spent a couple hours in the blistering heat today at the range shooting a few guns. My buddy John brought his new S&W MP9 M2.0 with thumb safety out for me to have my way with as he wanted to thoroughly experience my Springfield Trophy Match. After a few hours and several hundred rounds through the MP9 M2.0, here are a few of my personal findings.

1. Grip texture is aggressive, very aggressive. Feels much like sandpaper in your hand and will require a solid grip over the course of shooting less your palm feel like a raw piece of meat. I personally hold with a very tight grip as I am accustomed to shooting Bullseye, so although a bit of noticeable wear on the fatty piece between my thumb and index finger there was nothing that required medical care.

2. Grip felt great in my hand, I went with the large backstrap as I have meat hooks for hands and really liked the way the gun fit in my hand. Had a very nice high grip that I felt allowed the bore axis to be aligned nicely.

3. Shooting the 9mm was a joy as the gun had little muzzle rise and seemed easy to get back on target with. Recoil was marginal and felt more of a blow back into the hand and wrist than a flip of any kind. Again, with my Bullseye background this was very welcome and I feel aided in target acquisition and speedy follow up shots on target.

4. Trigger is a real treat for a Striker Fired gun. I expected something simuler to my beloved Glocks, but no. After a slight and I do mean slight take up, the trigger broke cleanly. Reset was decent and really surprised me for an out of the box Striker Fierd pistol. I do not want anyone to think it was the trigger of a polished 1911, but for the intended purpose of the full size pistol it was more than decent.

5. Thumb Safety is ambidextrous and works as advertised with neither too much resistance or too little. Personally, I do not care for this feature on this type of gun, but if you desire it on one it works and works pretty well. Flip it up and you are on safe, flip it down and you are hot. No issue with reach as my thumb and index finger were capable of flipping the safety down without issue.

I shot a little over 200 rounds of 115gr Winchester white box though the gun and had zero FTE/FTF or other malfunctions. Targets for the day were various cans filled with sand shot from 10 yards to 30 yards, cans are no longer recognizable. I found that the MP9 M2.0 was a good shooting gun, as accurate or better than any other out of the box Striker Fired pistol I have owned. John paid $499.00 for the gun and I feel the gun is certainly worth every cent he paid. The grip texture might be a turn some off for some for CCW, but with the right holster I feel it would certainly benefit the shooter with a sweaty or bloody grip. I will post pictures if and when John decides I am worthy to have them in my possession. Hope this sheds a bit of light on the MP9 M2.0 for those of you that have not shot one yet.
You know it seems like they are trying to compete with the the XD mod 2, and I love that grip .....

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_0508.jpg
Sounds like the new texture is close now. I have several 1.0s and more than one has been stippled. 1.0s are a bit slickery even though they have texture. Strictly for competition I did this, there's no way in hell I would carry as it will tear you and your clothes a new one but it flat works! This was a test but my grip insert and front grip area is covered in silicon carbide grit.

EDIT: Found a pic of the actual gun.

View attachment 102696

Last edited:

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for that report. Have you shot a 1.0 with an Apex drop-in trigger? I'm just wondering how it compares with the 2.0 trigger. The Apex duty / carry trigger has some take-up but the breaks is nice. I haven't shot the competition drop-in trigger but it is suppose to be more like a 1911.

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not, though this trigger to me is a keeper.

The trigger on my wife's Shield is pretty good too. It spanks the factory G34 trigger that I did the .25 cent trigger job and installed a Ghost Ultimate connector and spring kit in. Glock triggers just suck. At least that's my impression after running M&Ps for so long.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Monday before last, I fired 400(or so) through a guy that was trying to break his in. His goal was to shoot 1k that morning. He only made it to 450 before his hand was tore up. My hand was done at 400. Loved the trigger though, may slap in the Apex on my 1.0s'

Latest posts

Top Bottom