S&W Performance Center 327

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I chrono’d .22 mag rounds in a 2” barrel. 850-900 FPS is all it produced.
We've had this conversation before... :drunk2:

"In the last couple of years Hornady, Speer and Winchester have introduced .22 WMR ammunition with new bullets that reliably expand when fired in handguns with very short barrels. A great example is Hornady’s 45-grain Critical Defense load, which has an FTX bullet. It leaves a 1.12-inch barrel at about 1,000 fps and produces approximately 100 foot-pounds of energy (fpe)."

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2015/07/mini-manstoppers-using-a-22-wmr-load-for-self-defense/

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Davis Derringer. Member on here posed the question if a .22 mag in a pocket gun like the NAA revo’s would work as a deep cover SD weapon, so I broke out the F1 to get results. Pretty disappointed.
Speer has came out with some .22 mag rounds designed for short barrel pistols. I bought some and got the same FPS. I think they redesigned the bullet to expand at the lower velocity.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've had this conversation before... :drunk2:

"In the last couple of years Hornady, Speer and Winchester have introduced .22 WMR ammunition with new bullets that reliably expand when fired in handguns with very short barrels. A great example is Hornady’s 45-grain Critical Defense load, which has an FTX bullet. It leaves a 1.12-inch barrel at about 1,000 fps and produces approximately 100 foot-pounds of energy (fpe)."

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2015/07/mini-manstoppers-using-a-22-wmr-load-for-self-defense/

Haven’t seen the new Hornady offering, but it’s still 1000fps. Lethal for sure.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a few boxes of Federal .22mag 50gr JHP a while back, and often wondered if the heavier bullet will create enough additional pressure in a short barrel to make any difference. :drunk2:
Theoretically it would I think. It all depends on the powder used and the intent of the manufacturer for that round to be shot in a rifle or a pistol.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
JD8 will remember this one. But this little gem pushes 158 grain XTPs out the end at 1250 FPS with a STARTING charge of Vhit N110 with a magnum primer. VV N110 power is actually a fast rifle powder so don't believe all you read about short barrels on the internet. Remember that's a 158 grain bullet, not a 125. I won't shoot magnum loads with light bullets through my K frames due to forcing cone cracking.

Mod 66 Small.JPG

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
JD8 will remember this one. But this little gem pushes 158 grain XTPs out the end at 1250 FPS with a STARTING charge of Vhit N110 with a magnum primer. VV N110 power is actually a fast rifle powder so don't believe all you read about short barrels on the internet. Remember that's a 158 grain bullet, not a 125. I won't shoot magnum loads with light bullets through my K frames due to forcing cone cracking.

View attachment 118447

Yeah so it's not the same but I picked up a 686 Performance center a few years back. Gave up on trying to find anything of the like.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah so it's not the same but I picked up a 686 Performance center a few years back. Gave up on trying to find anything of the like.
That one you can hot rod at will. This one is nigh impossible to reload in any semblance of fast with magnums. No matter how hard you try to eject the empties, you are just going to be picking them out before going for a speedloader, it's just the way it is. If it were moonclipped at least you could pull all 6 at once. The short ejector rod on the 2.75" guns are just not optimal. Look for a 3" and pounce when you find one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom