S&W questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FYI, the S& W Forum can be a snooty bunch, but there are several who know their game. I love the S&W revolvers, hands down my favorite EDC is a J-frame 642. The revolvers are the most overlooked gun on the planet when it comes to a CCW gun.

I'm an old school revolver guy. I'm not a fan of the new "MIM, non-firing pin hammer, barrel sleeved guns", but I do own a few. If you know what you are looking at, you can cruise the pawn shops and find the older guns in good shape at reasonable prices and occasionally a steal.

Nice gun and nice shooting!

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a 65-3 from a fellow OSA-er a couple of years ago. It has 3" barrel and a round butt. Has become almost my favorite revolver. It's close second to a 624. You WILL become addicted....or there's something else wrong with you. :wink2:

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Junior, Now you need to buy the book "S&W firearms 3rd Edition". Then you won't have as many questions. Besides it makes for a really good read about anything S&W!!!!
As to the "REAL" M&P line, there is the Model 10, 12, 13, 15, 18, 19 for the blued models, 63, 64, 65, 67. Now there are some odd balls mixed into this like the model 22 an such, along with the 14, 16 an 17. These range in caliber from .22LR to .357 Magnum, and a multitude of barrel lengths.

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Standard catalog of S&W 3rd edition and will be buying the newest 4th edition soon. I have spent a lot of time reading the book and trying to memorize as much information as possible. I think a fixed sight K frame with a 3 inch barrel would be an ideal carry revolver. Junior, you have some dang good guns for carry and shooting. I keep thinking about a Charter bulldog or S&W 3 inch barrel model 696 44special for a carry gun.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Junior, Now you need to buy the book "S&W firearms 3rd Edition". Then you won't have as many questions. Besides it makes for a really good read about anything S&W!!!!
As to the "REAL" M&P line, there is the Model 10, 12, 13, 15, 18, 19 for the blued models, 63, 64, 65, 67. Now there are some odd balls mixed into this like the model 22 an such, along with the 14, 16 an 17. These range in caliber from .22LR to .357 Magnum, and a multitude of barrel lengths.

Well I found out anecdotally that what is the Model 10 was an M&P until 1959, when it was redesignated the Model 10. I was reading a book about a NYCPD officer named Jim Cirillo when I caught this tidbit of trivia. He was a big Model 10 man. So, since the 64 is a stainless Model 10, I guess it used to be an M&P, but technically isn't anymore.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Standard catalog of S&W 3rd edition and will be buying the newest 4th edition soon. I have spent a lot of time reading the book and trying to memorize as much information as possible. I think a fixed sight K frame with a 3 inch barrel would be an ideal carry revolver. Junior, you have some dang good guns for carry and shooting. I keep thinking about a Charter bulldog or S&W 3 inch barrel model 696 44special for a carry gun.

I'm down to my carries. All my safe queens are gone. I like to alternate what I carry, quiet often. Like, say, in a work environment where I would be the direct object of a robbery in very close quarters. I like the S&W 340 in my pocket, not only because I can shoot through the pocket, but also if a struggle develops over retention, it won't be put out of battery. There's no exposed hammer, either. In the work environment I like the 64 as a backup for some of the same reasons; close in, weapon retention, not being put out of battery in case of a struggle. I'm running them both off of the same ammunition, so if one goes down, I'm not out of the game.

At home I carry an entirely different pair of handguns.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I found out anecdotally that what is the Model 10 was an M&P until 1959, when it was redesignated the Model 10. I was reading a book about a NYCPD officer named Jim Cirillo when I caught this tidbit of trivia. He was a big Model 10 man. So, since the 64 is a stainless Model 10, I guess it used to be an M&P, but technically isn't anymore.

Not sure which book you're reading, but "Jim Cirillo's Tales of the Stakeout Squad" and "Guns, Bullets, and Gunfights: Lessons and Tales From a Modern Day Gunfighter" are both great reads.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not sure which book you're reading, but "Jim Cirillo's Tales of the Stakeout Squad" and "Guns, Bullets, and Gunfights: Lessons and Tales From a Modern Day Gunfighter" are both great reads.

You are very correct!! Both excellent reads along with most writeings from Mas Ayoob. Granted Mas was never involved in any shoot outs but still very knowledgeable. I've met Mas several times, and have had the chance to shoot with him, the man knows his stuff.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm down to my carries. All my safe queens are gone. I like to alternate what I carry, quiet often. Like, say, in a work environment where I would be the direct object of a robbery in very close quarters. I like the S&W 340 in my pocket, not only because I can shoot through the pocket, but also if a struggle develops over retention, it won't be put out of battery. There's no exposed hammer, either. In the work environment I like the 64 as a backup for some of the same reasons; close in, weapon retention, not being put out of battery in case of a struggle. I'm running them both off of the same ammunition, so if one goes down, I'm not out of the game.

At home I carry an entirely different pair of handguns.

Junior, Your choice of revolvers to carry is a good one!

Latest posts

Top Bottom